The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,451 Posts
Back in the 60's there was a sharping gatget, that was pretty cool. Have not seen it in years. It was cylinderal. About 2 1/2 in. in dia. It was like two wheels with a stone between them.. You put the knife blade between the stone and the wheel. Then rolled it back and forth. Right side, then left side. It worked well. Would really like ti find another one.
My grandmother had one of those in a kitchen drawer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have accumulated a wide variety of sharpening stones over the years . The commercial quality stones that I rescued from a thrift store see the most use. Some of them are close to 50 to 70 years old . Also have several good steels . It has taken a lifetime to learn to do a good job.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If any one wants one like I described. Look at Chef Craft knife sharpener. There only about 3 dollars each. I, belive you will be happy with them. Going to order it from R & T Hardware and tools.

·
GUNZILLA
7,779 Posts
I have the Norton Waterstone sharpening kit that comes with 4 different grits 220/1000/4000/8000. I don't remember where I ordered them from, bought those for the kitchen cutlery.

Reactions: Grizzly2

·
Registered
62 Posts
The best MANUAL thing Ive found over the years is the blade clamp set at the right angle to sharpen the crap steel Buck uses. Buck used to sell them but I havent seen any advertised for years. Works great on the Arkie stones..
For some time Ive been thinking of getting the right tools and going into the retired- part time sharpening business... A lot of people around here have knives and other tools they can't/won't sharpen themselves.. just a thought, might be more trouble than it would be worth.... 🗡

41 - 45 of 45 Posts