The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted these pictures on another forum and folks helped me to sort of figure out the type of gun I have. I'm thinking about selling it since its just sitting here in a closet. So how much do the pros here think its worth?

Condition: Poor. Breech is rusted closed, trigger guard (breech lever?) seems to be a part from another gun -- doesn't cover the trigger like other internet pictures show (even when I turn it around). Behind the trigger there's supposed to be some other kind of catch for the breek lever but that's missing too. Rusting on various part of the barrell.

The hammer does cock and the trigger will cause it to activate.

Other Info:

Member - nmckenzie: The firing pin, extractor, and what's left of the Maynard tape primer system indicates this rifle's a post-Civil War conversion from percussion to cartridge. Someone more knowledgeable on Sharps than I can probably give you a time frame, but I believe they started around 1869.

Member - Jim K: The priming system is the Lawrence pellet primer, not a tape primer, but it has defintely been deactivated and there is a firing pin and space for an extractor. So, yes, a conversion to use metallic cartridges. (The gun originally was designed to use linen cartridges; the rising breechblock cut the end off the cartridge so the primer flame could reach the powder.) The sight is not military; it was probably installed when the conversion was done.

So, we have some further information. But as to when the conversion was done, or by whom, I have at the moment, no clue.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Your pics didn't post.......... at least I can't see them. However, missing parts, not original, rust, deactivated - doesn't sound like it will be worth much. Sounds like a wall hanger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.