Sharps & Hankins 1859 Navy Carbine

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by bskip, May 14, 2020.

1. bskip

bskip New Member

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I just happened across it by chance.
    I have recently purchased a Sharps and Hankins .52 Navy carbine and I need a replacement part. The link from the barrel to the lever is cracked and I'm looking for a good used one.
    Does anyone have any ideas where all i can check?
    Thanks
    B
    First pic is the part I need..
    sandh link.jpg 97568438_653608088519774_5823625080965431296_n.jpg

2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

3. bskip

bskip New Member

BlackEagle likes this.
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

bskip, can you post a pic of yours, and the crack in it?

5. bskip

bskip New Member

Yes, soon as I get home.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Ya-hoo buddy....maybe you'd have more luck searching for the Holy Grail?

TRAP or one of several other guys on here could answer this a lot better than me but, if the crack isn't too bad, or even if it is, would it be possible to have it welded and re-fit?

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. bskip

bskip New Member

It's cracked in the worst possible spot and I checked with a machine shop, they said they could make a new one but I can almost pick up another gun for what the quoted.

20200516_072844(1).jpg 20200516_072817_HDR(1).jpg 20200516_072800_HDR(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
  8. sharps4590

Ouch...that dimple can't possibly help matters either.

You know, they used to weld SAA frames back together. You'd think someone could do that but I have no idea who. And there's a whole lot more I don't know about welding than I do!!

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Sharps, that's why I wanted a pic. I have a kid that is an absolute artist with a TIG welder. I give him a broken part, tell him what it is, what it does, and how hard/tempered it has to be. I get it back, and it's a drop in. If it isn't, 15mins is the most time I've spent stoning and polishing, and that's because I told him to leave a bit for fitting. Since I've had him doing my welding, I don't even know if my welder works anymore!:)
    Best part, he's dirt cheap!
    bskip, I've played with a S&H, but never had one apart. What's the function of the dimple, is it for a detent, or to clear something in the action when it's closed up?
    Edit: Nevermind, found it. That's fixable, and for less than that replacement.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    BlackEagle, bskip and sharps4590 like this.
  10. bskip

bskip New Member

The dimple in the linkage is to clear the screw head that holds the rollar to the barrel. The action is tight (enough I plan to run powder thru it). The linkage fits snugly in the frame and is slotted beside the dimple. Both ends of the link pivot. I will post a few pics of the action in work.
    I have been skeptical of having part welded but there may not be any other options.
    I appreciate y'alls advise and help!

BlackEagle likes this.
  11. bskip

bskip New Member

12. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Afternoon Sir..The reason I, the old non-gunner Chief, is responding to this post is
    the name HANKINS ...Hankins was my mother's maiden name and her father Dave Hankins
    was a story teller supreme!! I can remember as kids in Iowa, there on the 160 acre
    share-cropper farm he would tell us stories ranging from outlaw stories to ghost stories..He'd
    frighten us so badly it would be difficult going up into those attic type bed spaces at night
    without being punished by Grandma Hankins first. Grandpa Dave was born in Missouri state
    and lived near the outlaw Jesse and Frank James...many of those stories involved the James
    brothers and their train robberies and the Pinkerton Detectives of the railroad..He told the
    story how Mother James was slain by the Pinkertons by burning her inside her house but once
    when I related this same story, one of the troops researched the details and it wasn't true...So
    much for Grandpa Daves stories unless the crime was quietened down...Chief
    Just checked Google...Chief

About 133,000 results (0.80 seconds)

Search Results
    Web results

Pinkertons maim Frank and Jesse James' mother - HISTORY
    www.history.com › this-day-in-history › pinkertons-ma...
    In an attempt to flush the outlaws out of the house, the gang threw several flares through the windows. Unexpectedly, one of the flares exploded instantly, killing Frank and Jesse's young half-brother and blowing away their mother's arm.

tuckerd1 likes this.
  13. sharps4590

No sir, Zarelda Samuel James did not die in the explosion that killed Jesse and Frank's little brother Archie. She did lose a hand.

14. bskip

bskip New Member

Thank you for the story, I think William and Elizabeth Hankins died in the late 1860's but im not sure how many children they had. With a little research you never know what you will find or who you are kin to!

15. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

She ( Zarelda ) also made a lot of money buying cheap revolvers and selling them as belonging to James brothers , most notably Jesse's. A con artist through and through.

sharps4590 likes this.