Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Sharps info needed please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TofNC, Aug 11, 2017.

1. TofNC

TofNC New Member

I'v been trying to find some information recently regarding Sharps rifles. I've come across an old Sharps rifle and have been trying to track down the history of it if possible. I've done some research based off of the information I've been able to pull off the gun and from the internet. Like I said was hoping someone may be able to give me a little bit more detail into the history of this particular rifle. Thanks for your time. -T
    -1859 New Model Military Sharpsharps rifle
    -Serial #36686
    -36 inch barrel
    -53 inch length
    -Lever/breech and hammer/trigger are operational
    -T brace bayonet lug
    -Seems to be some surface rust but nothing terribly deep.
    -Wood is in excellent condition minus a 1-2 inch crack on hand gaurd where it meets the breech. 20170810_111422.jpg 20170811_150557.jpg 20170810_111422.jpg

Attached Files:

BlackEagle likes this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF from Sitka, Alaska. The 36" barrel length, bayonet lug style and serial number indicate your Sharps is a New Model 1859 Rifle Musket, as opposed to the NM 1859 Rifle which had a 30" barrel and took a socket bayonet. The NM '59 Muskets were all in early serial number ranges, and were probably the first of the New Model 1859s made under military contracts. The Muskets are not common. Congratulations on owning a great piece of history. A word regarding condition: any obvious cleanup attempts - polishing off surface rust and the like, will have a major effect on value - as in downwards. Sorry to say I can't help you regarding value, but I'm sure a member who can will be along shortly.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

3. TofNC

TofNC New Member

That's some awesome information thank you. Much more than what I've been able to scrounge up myself on the internet. Again thank you

4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In his book Sharps Firearms, Frank Sellers notes that just 600 NM 1859 Muskets were produced.

TofNC likes this.
  5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend the Seller's book. It's worth having on your bookshelf, just 'cause.

TofNC likes this.