The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I'm loading some 9mm. The brass is mixed head stamps. I noticed that when I was expanding the shells for the projectile a few like (4) didn't seem to expand. They were already that size or bigger. I put those aside just so I didn't lose them. Then when I went to crimp those same shells crimped but the bullet lose. I was able to push them in. So I pulled them back out to length and crimped them more to the point it were it looked like half the shell was crimped. The bullet was still able to be pushed down rather easy. Needless to say I didn't keep those rounds for storage gunna recycle. But after all the crimping done and didn't hold the bullet, is that a sign of a over used shell? It went through the resize, Decapping die. Why was it so big? Anyone know?

· Registered
18,148 Posts
Id toss them. Whats the headstamp?

· Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two were FC and two were blazer

· Registered
18,148 Posts
federal cartridge and CCI Blaser.. Seems odd for 2 separate mfgrs to have similar issues. usually when you end up with odd brass like that from a pile of mixed headstamps they usually end up being all the same headstamp. Im gonna have to say they are somehoe thinner or out of spec in soem other way, so as to allow them to not resize enough to provide the proper neck tension for the reloaded round. Toss them in the brass bucket.

· Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks JLA. The brass looked all good no cracks or anything just too big. And yeah I'll toss em. Thanks again.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Over crimping a plated bullet will produce a loose bullet, are you using plated?

· Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I was using a hornady 124gr. Xtp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.