The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry...I posted the above photo before I noted the date being wrong..it should have
been June 1945..Chief

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Chief, in the upper right corner of your post there are three little dots, one on top of each other. If you click on those three dots a box will open that will allow you to edit your post.

That way in the future when you have a brain fade, you can just open the edit box and change January to June. You won't have to make a new post. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Looks like a 60mm mortar ammo box right in the middle of the photo. Possibly a little small. Funny how stuff sticks in your head. If we were over run my asst gunner and I were going to grab the 60 tube and a box of rounds and retreat into the building and fire it point blank using a helmet in our belly for a baseplate. I wonder how that would have worked out.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
I don't recall the movie, but they were in Europe. The Germans were RIGHT OVER THERE. The American had the mortar rounds and he was banging them on his helmet, to trip the trigger, and then throwing them like hand grenades.

Wonder if that would have really worked?

·
Super Moderator
41,316 Posts
I don't recall the movie, but they were in Europe. The Germans were RIGHT OVER THERE. The American had the mortar rounds and he was banging them on his helmet, to trip the trigger, and then throwing them like hand grenades.

Wonder if that would have really worked?
I saw that movie not too awful long ago and I also wondered if that would really work.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It wouldn't have worked with our 60mm mortar rounds. They needed the little nail at the bottom of the tube to ignite the primer charge which in turn ignited the number of bags of powder you decided you wanted to leave on the round for the distance and trajectory you wanted. Just the igniting charge (looked about like a shotgun shell in the long slender part of the round by the fins at the rear) had enough power to "usually" get the round out of the tube and over the wall. I once let an officer on his way home drop a round so he could say he had. That one never made it out the tube and after hearing that weak sound and doing a back flip out of the pit, looked up to see the round handing by the fins from the end of the tube. So, some of those charges were weak. The inertia of the launch would then arm the explosive to explode.

Sitting here laughing, I can't say I was ever drunk enough to bang one on something and then throw it. :eek:

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chief, in the upper right corner of your post there are three little dots, one on top of each other. If you click on those three dots a box will open that will allow you to edit your post.

That way in the future when you have a brain fade, you can just open the edit box and change January to June. You won't have to make a new post. :)
Thanks Al..I'll try to remember that ...Chief

1 - 9 of 9 Posts