The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what shoot-through scope mounts would fit my savage 93F .22 mag? It is the newer version just tapped and drilled. The open sights sit fairly low so I need mounts that won't block the sights. I want it for a scope with a 1" scope tube. Thanks.

·
Banned
454 Posts
I'll be picking up the 93G model before long. I'll be looking for see thru mounts also.

·
No Power Options
13,528 Posts
I simply hate see through scope mounts. The sighting area becomes to busy. Not to mention using a 1" scope will have a lift of nearly an inch above bore line. You`ll need a cheek riser lest you crane your neck.
If you are worried about close up or snap shots get a low power fixed scope with a 1" tube or 30mm even better. 2x-4x maximum.

·
Premium Member
12,990 Posts
My point exactly LIK. A proper stock weld cannot be achieved and they really do block an awful amount of the open sight, sight picture.

·
Banned
454 Posts
My friend has a 22 with see thru mounts. I'm going to test it out and see if I like them or not before I buy any.
As much as I hate to, I need to put a scope on my Henry 22.

·
Premium Member
12,990 Posts
When they first came out in this country.....(they aren't anything new, Germany has had them since the 20's at least)....I thought they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Until I tried a set. Couldn't get them off that rifle fast enough. Your head is too high and the open sights are barely functional....at least that was how I felt.

Funny thing about the Germans, pre-WWII they used high mounts whether they were see thru or not. It's almost like they never figured out to re-shape the bolt handle so it would clear the scope. I can kinda understand that with their elegant spoon bolt handles...but sighting is sure awkward. Another thing was the wing safety on the Mausers and Mannlicher/Schoenauers. They would make the mounts high so the safety would clear. Oddly, I have a Wilhelm Brenneke 98 Mauser and a Haenel/Rasch1890 equipped with claw mount bases and when they were fitted a Greener safety was installed....but they left the tall wing safety. Both function as original. It's like they never thought to alter the tall wing safety. Funny how things evolved in different countries.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used them before and really like them. I won't scope the gun unless I can maintain use of my open sights. Just wondered if anybody knew where I could find them or which ones would fit my gun.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would be curious to see what happened if both sights were sighted in at 25 yds. Then take shots at 50, 75, 100 and maybe even out to 150 yards with both sights just to see how much the point of impact varied.
Id like to know which sight is higher or lower than the other at longer ranges.
Lynn

·
Super Moderator
40,773 Posts
I've used them before and really like them. I won't scope the gun unless I can maintain use of my open sights. Just wondered if anybody knew where I could find them or which ones would fit my gun.
I would say go visit your local gun shop. If they don't have them in stock, I am sure they can find them for you. I did a real quick search for "See through scope mounts" and got a bunch of hits. Walmart sells them, MidwayUSA sells them, Amazon sells them, just about everybody sells see through scope mounts.

·
Premium Member
19,733 Posts
I bet you will hate them. I had a set on my Ruger American Rimfire. I had to use the hi stock comb the rifle comes with to see the scope. Made it very hard to see the iron sights. I couldn't wait to get them off. I got a set the put the scope just off the receiver. Much more accurate now.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I learned that lesson about "see through" sights a long time ago. Once you have them installed, you'll find that neither the iron sights or the scope are easy/fast to use anymore. I've never had a scope fail on me. Mount it as low to the receiver as you can, you'll be much happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts