shootin just to hear the gun go off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 38 special, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

On another thread about old sayings it reminded me of my Dad and his frowning on someone shooting too fast. He knew guns real well ,was in the gun business,was really into reloading and casting his own bullets and was the best shot I've seen. He helped several police officers learn to shoot well so they could qualify and He reloaded for so many people in town.
    We practiced alot but never shot real fast. Maybe it was the Depression day upbringing but whenever he would hear alot of rapid shots in the distance He would say "they probably cant hit anything-just shotin to hear the gun go off.

2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Depends on what you call shoting fast. The range coaches complained I shot too fast. Then they saw me set 2 range records. They never said another word to me. Infact they asked my opinion on how to help Marines shoot better.

Ryan

3. 38 special

38 special New Member

I would like to get real good at double action shooting but I need a lot more practice. Im going to find a .22 to practice with. It would be fun to shoot a revolver fast AND accurate. I have seen alot of people who like to shoot semi-autos fast but are really poor shots. My son loves to shoot the SR-9 Ruger but I told him SLow down and learn trigger squeeze and relaxed concentration beforehe shoots fast

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for that 38. I am sure I would have liked your father, especially having spent time in the trade myself. As we used to say, 'You just cant miss fast enough'.

5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I understand what you're saying, and understand the importance of taking your time and really focusing on accuracy and fundamentals, but there are different styles of shooting out there. I at times will slow down and take very precise, deliberate, well - aimed long range shots. There are also times that I will put a golf ball at the bottom of an embankement and make it "dance" up and down the hill. You can hit it over and over with a .22, bouncing it around and keeping it moving for some time. I think that hitting a small target on the move like this takes skill as well.

Defensive handgun shooting is another situation where I'm not likely to take my time and shoot individual rounds.

Yes, there are those who do shoot as you say just to hear the gun go off, but shooting well or for fun doesn't have to mean shooting slow.

6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I can understand..if you just want to hear a loud bang , firecrackers are cheaper than ammo. However, I don't regularly practice with very long shots (though I need to). I usually think of a combat situation and shoot at a timed fire rate of maybe one round every 2 sec or less, trying to take no longer than enough time to recover a sight picture. To me that seems the most practical way to improve defensive shooting.