Shooting Clays

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by FreedomAndForgiven, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

Okay I just got back into shooting clays after not shooting them since I was 15. It started out just as a way to get hulls, and kill some time since so many people leave their hulls, and the range just throws them away if no one takes them. I am now getting more into it, and go more often to hone my marksmanship. What chokes do you guys normally suggest for skeet, and trap. I bounced around through all my hunting chokes, and found that I seem to do best with an Extended IM for trap. Nothing I had worked well for skeet (most open I had was flush Mod) so I went, and bought a skeet choke that I am going to try out hopefully Saturday.

dbcooper likes this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Skeet wide open. Cylinder choke works good. For trap I use a full. You can use an IM at the 16 yard line but most good shooters stay with a full.

joe45c likes this.

3. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

For skeet use "skeet" or "cylinder".

For trap use "full", "improved modified", 'modified" or if you are quick on the shot "light modified"

Use the tube you have success with and confidence in. Sometimes it doesn't matter. One day we moved from skeet to trap. I forgot to change tubes and still broke 21 from the 16 yard line with a skeet tube.

Break em all!

4. FreedomAndForgiven

FreedomAndForgiven Well-Known Member

I use the extended IM choke when I squirrel, and crow hunt so I am wanting to get better with it. When shooting trap with quality shells I do really good with the IM. With cheap shells I have to switch to an extended extra full to do decent. I have only shot skeet twice.

5. betarace

betarace New Member

Skeet - Open
    Trap - Full/Xtra Full
    Clays I/M

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.