Shooting Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 8:32:18 am)
    Reply Shooting Club
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just joined a local private shooting club and was wondering what anyone else pays to shoot.There is no public range around here and it is getting hard for anyone to find a place in the country to shoot.The club I joined has 140 acres of land,25,50,100,200 and 300 yard ranges plus 10 skeet and two trap ranges.They also have archery ranges,a nice club house,five acre fishing lake.The price to join is $500.00 plus $100.00 a year dues,you can also take as many guest with you as you want but you are responsible for them at the range. Thanks Benny in NC

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 9:06:14 am)
    Reply Re:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing.

I have my own place.

It is by my own choice that:

I live so far out in the country that any way I go when I leave my house is "out".

I live so far out in the country that I have to wipe the "owl grease" off the clock just to see what time it is.

I live so far out in the country that the county road department quit maintaining the road a half mile from my house.

I live so far out in the country that the electric company executives cry everytime they think about what the power line to my home cost as compared to their return.

Same for the telephone company. (One drawback is a really slow dial-up internet connection.)

I live so far out in the country that LEO friends can't visit on account of their cell phones won't work.

I live so far out in the country that UPS won't deliver unless their 4WD delivery truck is in the area.

I live so far out in the country that the county tax assessor has been chargin' my neighbor up close to the road for my property taxes.

I live so far out in the country that I can't get insurance on my house.

I could go on and on, but I won't, except to say that finding a place to shoot is right near the bottom of my list of priorities...

-- ND

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/30/02 9:15:24 am)
    Re: Shooting Club
    Nope, go to the public range - while not always convenient (as in when they are open), it's cheaper and closer than any private range by far.

outdoorsman260
    (12/30/02 1:02:35 pm)
    Reply Re: Shooting Club
    Not quite as far out there as Neo, but I can still shoot in my back yard.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 1:35:31 pm)
    Reply Range
    It must be nice to walk out in the back and shoot.The only public shooting range around here is 45 miles away and what I hear about it is that you better take someone with you to watch your back.The private range is 8 miles from my house,the gas would pay the difference. Thanks Benny

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/30/02 3:18:14 pm)
    Reply Re: Range
    Mckheean-

The costs of your private range is well within reason, provided you make frequent use of it and don't get too carried away with guests. Years ago, I belonged to such a club which had the $500 initiation fee and a $100 a year membership. The club had limited membership, was completely filled up and the only way to join was to buy out an existing membership or wait 'til someone died. There was a standing list of people waiting to join.

I belong to a club that operates and maintains a range for the state Game & Fish department, on land owned by the Interior Dept. Our membership is $65 a year. Public use of the range costs $5/day for nonmembers. Both members and public shoot the same General Range under supervision of Rangemasters, while other club ranges on the property are strictly for members and their guests. You can find us at: www.riosaladosportsmans.com
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 12/30/02 6:34:11 pm

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 4:48:39 pm)
    Re: Range
    I belong to a club and and indoor range. The club has trap/skeet/clays, fishing, and numerous ranges. It is also a game preserve. It was about $500 to join and is $85 per year. Like kdub'a former club, the membership is limited and someone has to sell or die. There is a long waiting list.

The indoor range is $100/yr. and $5 a visit. Nice place, warm, good pro shop, cheap ammo, mostly good folks. I also have a really nice outdoor range nearby that is $7 per visit...no membership.

So I would say your club isn't out of the ordinary expensive or cheap...just reasonable.

Important Info For ALL Americans
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!" Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

MTaylor
    (12/30/02 5:11:54 pm)
    I guess I'll be paying more than anyone. I value my comfort so my pistol shooting takes place at an indoor range for $250 a year flat.

I shoot skeet/trap/clays(what's that? ) at a different club which is all outdoors (so thier pistol range is also outdoors). So when I shoot skeet it's $7.50 per round, or $500 for a 100 round card. No membership fee.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 5:13:24 pm)
    hi Benny / mckheean,

i wish i had a range like that so close to my home. kalifornia doesn't have any "public ranges" that i know of. the only public place where i've shot is 90 miles away.

the indoor range i shoot is this:
    20 25 yard firing lanes
    $2 range card
    free eyes and ears for those without
    $300/year ($100/year leo/active military)
    $6 per non member guest
    free unlimited range use for members
    free gun rentals, must buy range ammo
    no steel in any ammo, case or bullet
    open 10am - 7pm

chris in sandy eggo

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 5:14:53 pm)
    huh, i got to thinking about it ... a "public range" is where "joe blow" can show up and pay $6 or $12 and get on line, right?

i guess there are a few of those around here, only a couple are longer range though.

chris in sandy eggo

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 6:02:33 pm)
    Reply Same as Neo...
    Y'all need ta get out of the city...

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/30/02 6:48:44 pm)
    Reply Re: Same as Neo...
    them seem to be some high prices...

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 7:35:51 pm)
    Reply Re: Same as Neo...
    Smokin Guns says
    Quote:
    Y'all need ta get out of the city...

yeah, but dang, once cityslickified, it's hard to go back. we need our high speed internet and other benefits of the big city like ...
    - industrial metal supply
    - baja fresh mexican food
    - ups shipping center (so i can ship stuff i sold)
    - countless small CNC shops and industry

we are looking to move to the top end of "SoCal" eventually... where homes are more than 10 (or 6!) feet apart and your property size includes a whole number of acres, not just the fraction.

and yes, sitting in traffic sucks! i'm thankful everyday that i work for myslef and can mostly choose when to or not to drive around.

chris in sandy eggo

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 7:45:47 pm)
    Reply Chris...in San d' eggo...
    Takin' a serious moment(rare)...Back in the early 80's I was a contractor in Florida putting up Screen Rooms and Pool enclosures in Tampa, Florida...after 4 years...Law'd a mercy it made me a believer to get out of the city...and find a more relaxing way of life...

Packet
    (12/30/02 9:27:32 pm)
    Mckheean, did you by chance join the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club? I lived in Charlotte most of my life and was a member there. The place you described sounds just like it.

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/02 9:43:49 pm)
    I just mashed down the corn stalks and made a 400 yard range out back, I've got a lot of sparrows and starlings that double as clay pigeons. It's nice but they are coming after us they just built a Vinyl Village 1/2 mile up the road.

"Let's all move out to the country and then the country won't be country anymore, hold on!"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/31/02 2:21:56 am)
    Re: Shooting Club
    Shoot on my property, but mostly handguns, too heavily wooded for long range, gonna clear some for rifles and
    such one day.

I do belong to 3-clubs, one in another state that I've
    been a member of for about 9-years, $40.00 per year
    with all the bells & whistles and a nice club house.

One is only a few miles from me and is an unbelievable
    $5.00 per year, all outdoor.

the 3rd is about 45-minutes away, all outdoor and $25.00
    per year, but they hold a small machinegun shoot twice a
    year, so I enjoy that.

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/31/02 8:08:39 am)
    Reply Club
    The club I have joined is the Rowan County Wildlife Association they are also connected to the CMP.Anyone close buy email me and we will go shoot one day. Thanks for the replies. Benny

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 8:56:38 am)
    Reply Re: Club
    I'm like Tac. I shoot pistols on my land now and will clear for rifle after the house is completed.

I have access to a wildlife management area range about 7 miles from home. Covered 50 yd pistol & 100 yard rifle. Cost is an active Alabama hunting license plus $15.00 WMA permit each year. Good deal for those that don't have land.

1badassmagnum
    (12/31/02 10:09:56 am)
    Reply Re: Club
    I pay $250 per year also,$6 guest pass unlimited shooting,$7 to rent a firearm+ their ammo.for $2 you can exchange the firearm for a different type caliber etc.you can bring 4 people and rotate people into the range and they still only charge you the standard fee of $6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.