Shooting Gloves

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Casy, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Casy

Casy Member

Hey Everybody! I have been reloading .44 mags for longer than I can remember. Over the years I've whittled on rubber grips and sanded/filed on wood grips to save my hands from recoil related injuries. I read about shooting gloves in one of Max Prasac's books so I headed to Wal-Mart. $10 later I had a pair of Gold's Gym weight lifting gloves with the fingers cut out. Now my max loads shoot like a .22! It is amazing the difference $10 can make.
    Casy

shootbrownelk, cec2, prescut and 3 others like this.
  2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I've been using the Mechanix brand gloves for shooting and for years and recently for working out with weights.

shootbrownelk, cec2, carver and 5 others like this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I've had a pair of shooting gloves for years and now keep them in the truck. The funny thing is that when I go shooting, I forget to get them out and put them on!

shootbrownelk, cec2, carver and 2 others like this.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've tryed using gloves in the past. Just didn't feel right.

5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am a fan of shooting gloves. They help me considerably. Prefer PIG but they are very pricey. Mechanix work well and are much cheaper.

dbcooper and carver like this.
  6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I might have to look into a pair myself. Arthritis in my right hand is getting worse. It really hurts to shoot either large caliber, like magnums, and the small light weight .38's.

shootbrownelk and dbcooper like this.
  7. prescut

prescut Member

I tell everyone who will listen about the weight lifter gloves without fingers at Walmart. They are the very best and the least expensive.

The padding is excellent and right where it should be. They do not bind or bunch up. They are very soft.

Excellent feel with the fingers missing. I use them every time I go out. I tend to shoot all day for several days in a row. I shoot 44 mag and 357 Maximum, both of which can kick pretty good.

I aboslutely must have it when I practice with my S&W 360PD. It doesn't kick pretty good, it kicks like hitting your palm with a baseball bat.

I have a dozen shooting gloves of every type and most do not work at all for me. They are stiff and I lose all feel for the gun.

Prescut

chaswea, carver and cec2 like this.
  8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've shot many revolvers on the higher end of things and never had an issue. Then I purchased a P64 and the darn thing bites right at the seam on the back of the grip. Not sure what's going on but after not finding much in aftermarket grips I've thought about buying some calfskin gloves to see if that would help. Maybe a more padded glove is in order.

chaswea and carver like this.
  9. Casy

Casy Member

That is what I meant about whittling and carving grips so they don't bite. Seriously do like Prescut said and go to WalMart, look in the sporting goods dept, look for weight lifter gloves with the fingers cut off (my brand is Gold's Gym), spend $10 and give them a try. After you use them a little bit and break them in you will wonder why you did not do it sooner! No more grip bite and my max loads for .44 shoot more like a .38 special.
    Casy

carver and Firpo like this.
  10. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man up, throw the dang gloves away. So a burgler is in the house, (hey burgler, time out while I get my gloves), duh.

11. Casy

Casy Member

No guy I'm talking about shooting for accuracy--things like hunting or target practice. I actually keep a shotgun loaded by my bed for burglars. Have not had to use it lately.
    Casy

12. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have never shot a weapon with gloves on, it just don't seem natural.

13. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have P.A.S.T. shooting gloves, they work wonders for shooting my RSRH .454 Casull. I may have to look at Wally world for those Gold's Gym gloves. The PAST gloves weren't cheap.

14. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

maybe you are trying the wrong gloves?

The ones I use are thin and have high tactility , almost like a second skin
    For instance, I can answer my cell phone and work the screen with them on

chaswea, carver and jedwil like this.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

I have a pair I bought at Cabela's. I got them on sale for $10. They go for $30 normally. I only use them for my Beretta shotgun when shooting trap. That gun kicks back on my index finger and by the time I have shot 100 rounds it's bleeding real bad. The only other gun I use them with is my Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag.
    upload_2017-8-12_21-44-57.png