The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know bullet fit, BHN and velocities etc. can be factors in barrel leading. But, what about powder?

Lets say you using a mid range powder and are experiencing some leading with mid range loads.

Would you try and clear up the leading with a faster powder or a slower powder? Or, doesn't burn rate matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
The flippant answer is "yes".

It really depends. A longer flame can erode the bullet base, but a fast powder can upset the projectile more than a slower powder. You basically have to try different things until you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I find fast powders typically lead less because they obturate the bullet faster and harder. I also find the 2 most important things in preventing barrel leading is good bore fit and good lube. Cover those 2 bases and powder is not much concern so long as its a suitable speed to the round being loaded.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yep, in order of importance (IMHO):
Bullet fit (revolvers, size to cylinder throats, semi autos, .002" over groove dia).
Lube
Powder
BHN (as long as it isn't pure lead)

I cast bullets and shot them successfully for 14 years before I considered the "BHN vs Pressure" formula, using wheel weight alloy. Tried "formula" once, and went back to my old stand-by; Mike's Alloy" (9-15 BHN, I think).

·
Registered
603 Posts
One of my project was to produce a heavy bullet cast loading in my Sharps. I did everything: WW and tin, heat treating, sized to .001" over, neck sizing, weight sorting bullets, case annealing, over powder cards, fillers etc. What finally did the trick was to make my own lube. The commercial stuff I used (Red Rooster, T/C Blue) were okay but when I concocted my own recipe (after doing much research) I got on-hole groups out of my cast bullets. So don't discount the effects of a good bullet lube.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It's a art and science that has more variables than I can even fathom, but I would look at lube first and sizing diameter, lead hardness before powder. (OK, maybe powder before hardness as Mikld said)

But I would agree that I would try a faster powder for the same reason JLA put it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts