The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put 200 rounds though my new Les Baer 1911 and after getting the sight adjusted it is very accurate. It is a lot more accurate than I am. I can keep the shots on the paper at 25 yards, but they are scattered all over. At 20 feet I can shoot pretty good, not great, but pretty good for an old man. The target below shows 16 rounds fired from 20 feet. The ammo was speer, 200 gr., TMJ, SWC, loaded with 7.5 gr of power pistol.

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,506 Posts
One of the most accurate 1911's out there.

Mine would hold a tight group with any ammo I fed it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well by golly, I do believe you are getting the hang of this here shooting thing.

Nice target but where is the gun and what ammo were you using.

I shot Winchester White box personal defense ammo out of a Colt Gold cup yesterday and out of my old NM built by the Fort Benning boys back in 1970. At 25 yards I was surprised at how well that ammo grouped compared to my usual hardball stuff. My gun beat my brothers Gold Cup by just a smidge, it didn't like that load as well as it did the American Eagle hardball stuff, go figure. 30 rounds on one turkey target and my NM group was maybe half again bigger than yours. I'm thinking I would like to try that exercise again with your gun.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the gun and I was shooting Speer 200 gr. TMJ, SWC loaded with 7.5 gr of power pistol powder. I tried 7.0, 7.5, and 8.0 grains, but felt the 7.5 gr load was the most accurate.

The muzzle blast from the power pistol is something to behold. I didn't try it, but it looked like I set the target paper on fire from 10 feet. Every time I pulled the trigger the target in the lane next to me would flop around. The guy shooting there asked what I was shooting. He said he could feel the concussion on every shot.

While there is muzzle flip when the gun was fired I didn't think the recoil was too bad. I guess the recoil spring is pretty strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I like the front strap on your grip, that is probably why you can get the gun back in battery so fast, your grip is solid. I was shooting the 230 gr HP and I had a lot of muzzle flip too but I have pretty aggressive stippling on my front strap and the other guy I had shooting my gun yesterday liked it better than my brothers Gold cup and his own government model. He has small hands but he could keep a firm grip on mine and that makes a whole bunch of difference. I would love to get a Baer in a long slide 10MM but my wallet says, "Not so fast there old timer." Heavy sigh.

That is a pretty healthy load for that round but if it works for you in that gun keep right on using it.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Nice shooting.
Looks like you are pulling to the left just a tad, or is that the sights?

My Les Baer was the most accurate 1911 I have owned.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Fine looking 1911 and good shooting!

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cute response, but what is the answer? Some of us dummies don't know, or maybe it's just this dummy. I have two "real" 1911s, but the thumb safeties are not on the right side.

You have 7,920 posts - what am I, chopped liver?

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
DD is really a Glock man so he didn't recognize ambidextrous safety is installed on this Les Baer there for having a safety lever on both sides.:lmao:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Todd, OK, thanks. Now I know. That's all I asked. If, as you suggest, DD didn't know the answer, he should not dis someone who doesn't. Double D?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm only pulling DD's chain, he is a 1911 expert.
OK, so he's an expert, I'm not. So why didn't he just answer my dumb question instead of dissing me? Maybe you were pulling my chain too? If so, why? I just asked a simple, dumb question and got a smart-ass response.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Hey, don't get your panties in a wad. Maybe he had indigestion or was just trying some humor. I don't know why he was short with you. The gun does have ambidextrous safety so two levers. No harm asking for an answer to a question you don't know, I have to do it often.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts