Shooting Today?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Bama1022, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I considered changing from the Mount to Rings but no since wasting money. I reinstalled Scope this afternoon , leveled the best I could and used Locktite. I'll take it out next week

Kweeksdraw and BlackEagle like this.
  2. Bama1022

Finally got my scope zeroed in today , it was really bad off. I put it on center of the Right target and it hit far left bottom corner on the left target . I shot a zig zag lining it up and it was dead on at 25 yards and spread at 50. The wind was blowing today , may go back Wed. with CCI and Auto Match

3. Bama1022

Returned today and did somewhat of a Ammo test at 100 yards. Yellow - Aquila 40 Granos Interceptor. Orange- 40 Grain Fed Auto match. Green- CCI 36 Grain Mini Mags. The Aquila performed the best , the real fun was plinking a large coffee can lid making it flip back and forth
    untitledt2.png

gvw3, One Shot and BlackEagle like this.
  4. Bama1022

Went out to the Range with plans shooting 10/22 on a nice day . After a small elevation adjustment POI was just right at 50 yards. I locked the bolt to run a Rip Cord through and the bolt release jammed. Back home found the lock spring had jumped off the bolt release , have no idea how . At least I'm learning how to disassemble and assemble 10/22 trigger

Big Mak, One Shot and BlackEagle like this.
  5. Bama1022

Returned to the range today and think I did good with a few hits at 75 yards with wind.
    t3.png untitledt1.png untitledt2.png
    I had plans for a .920 barrel but changed my mind and sold the Hunter X-2 stock.
    Switched back to the original stock, decided to save for a nice . 22 pistol Mark IV or Single Six
    wood.png

Big Mak, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nice shooting, I never did make it to the range this week!

7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I didn't actually do any shooting today, but our club hosted the local chapter of the Airbourne Alliance. We had a great day. Veterans all, they enjoyed getting out on the range.

I brought my Jager .22 (looks like an M-16), my Ruger 10-22, and my gallery rifle. Several guys shot the Jager for its looks. I took my bench rest, and they shot the center out of the targets!!

They took their targets home, happy shooters. The Jager was a "fun gun" to shoot; the gallery rifle was the most satisfying. That was their verdict.

A few of our club members brought black powder revolvers; one brought his Gibbs muzzle loading rifle and gave people a crack on those if they wanted. I had brought my Remington 1858 along, but was too busy supervising people on my .22's and gallery rifle to bring it out.

After around three hours of general shooting, we had a barbeque lunch, then back out to the range for a competition among the members of the Airbourne Alliance. They had a ball. One guy particularly requested my Jagerr; another used my Ruger 10-22. He took home a trophy.

For me it was as much fun watching them shoot as it is for me to shoot.

8. Bama1022

Thanks- taking advantage of my remaining Med leave, I'm going to miss shooting on week days

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Exercised the Rem 700 Ought 6 with 175gr match bullets and Win 760 powder.
    That little chit in the last picture slept in the truck whilst the range was busy.
    20170326_095628_resized_1.jpg
    20170326_095636_1490556253626_resized.jpg
    2017-03-25 19.04.14_resized.jpg

Bama1022, bosun, joe45c and 1 other person like this.
  10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a good time blackEagle, and a great lunch to boot. What type of galley rifle do you have?

BlackEagle likes this.
  11. BlackEagle

Marlin 1894 in .38/.357. I put a scope on it. I'll get a better picture of it later.

Marlin Model 1894-1.jpeg

Bama1022, Kweeksdraw and joe45c like this.
  12. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Nice! but your Galleries must be a little different in England then we used to have here in the US. Ours Galleries just used .22s.

BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.
  13. BlackEagle

We have competitions for gallery rifle small bore (.22) and gallery rifle center fire (.44 or .38/.357).

The vast majority of .22's here are Ruger 10-22's but there is a scattering of other rifles.

About 99% of the center fire rifles are Marlins, but there is the occasional Winchester or Rossi.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Kweeksdraw and joe45c like this.
  14. BlackEagle

This was taken a few years ago, but it shows one stage of a gallery rifle competition.

The smaller targets are for those shooting .22 (semi auto, mostly Ruger 10-22), the larger for those shooting lever action .44 or .38/.357. The targets are on programmable turners. For a timed and deliberate stage, we get, for example, two minutes to shoot 12 rounds starting with six loaded at 25 yards. For other stages we go up to the 15 and 10 yard line. There we might have a three second exposure for a single shot, or five seconds for a double tap. Some competitions we have stages where we go back to the 50 yard line; others we change positions--sitting, kneeling, prone, strong shoulder, weak shoulder...all with a good dose of time pressure.

Maximun score is often 300 depending on which competition we are shooting, with hits in the X ring being the deciding factor in a tie score. Some guys get into the high 200's. I go along to have fun. I usually make everyone else look good at these competitions.:D

DSCF1588.jpg

Kweeksdraw and joe45c like this.
  15. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey, someone tell that guy in the middle that the line is hot! :)

BlackEagle likes this.