Shooting with a vision problem

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by Masonator, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masonator

Masonator Active Member

I have a family member that does not any vision in their right eye. They have never been shooting before and they are right handed. What would you suggest?

2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son uses his left eye when shooting a pistol right handed.
    But with a rifle he shoots lefty.
    Mike

carver likes this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 20/600 vision in my left eye since I was 5 years old. I am left handed. I shoot a rifle and shotgun right handed and pistols left handed.

carver likes this.
  4. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good suggestions so far. Take them out to shoot, they will figure it out with your help.

5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm left handed, but right eye dominate, so I had to learn how to shoot right handed. I still practice while I'm at the range shooting left handed. Just never know when the deer of a lifetime might pop out to my right side and I have to take a left hand shot.

6. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used to have a friend that was totally blind. He carried a .38 snuby. I've seen him shoot, and I can promise you that his lack of eye sight didn't slow him down, or stop him from hitting what he shot at! He could put his hand on a tree, walk off 6, or 8 steps, turn and hit his mark. He could tell how far away you were from him, or how much you weighed, or how tall you were, or even what sex you were, just by listening to you walk across the floor. You had to be good at beating him with lawn darts. He didn't use the ring, instead, he used a card board box. Throw it out on the ground. When it stopped moving, he could hit it more often than not! Don't let lack of eyesight get in your way!

7. Masonator

Masonator Active Member

Thanks for the input. We are heading to the range in a couple of weeks, I will let you know how it goes.

8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

If he (or she) hasn't ever fired a rifle then they have no habits, good or bad, to un learn like learning to shoot left handed after a lifetime of shooting right handed.

My younger brother shot his .22 right handed but he used his left eye for aiming because his vision was too bad in his right eye, it looked funny watching him, but he could hit what he was aiming at, to him it was natural because it was how he always shot.

9. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

I had an Uncle that lost his right eye in an accident. He was a RH shooter, he learnd to shoot LH, to me it seemed he was twice the marksman LH as he was RH

10. Shovelinabox

Shovelinabox Active Member

I do the exact same thing. I tried to correct it but gave up.

11. MAUSERMYAR-15&ME

MAUSERMYAR-15&ME New Member

Is he shooting a handgun? I have very bad eyesight. What helps me to better my pistols? A. Better grips. Even skate tape is better than stock grips in most case. B. Go to Wal-mart and get two tubes of 'Matte acrylic paint'. One Black and One a neon color. Also, get box of Q-tips. Black out the rear sight by painting them black. Now paint the front sight a neon color. You use the Q-tips as your paint brushes. Old SWAT team trick that works quite well for me, also. Hope this helps.

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

This thread is four years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.