The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at getting a sub compact gun as a 2nd carry, for when a holster is too much, and I can slide this one into a pocket. I had originally wanted to stick with .40 S&W, to avoid expanding my ammo spread, but, my wife wants to learn to shoot, and it would be great if she would also consider carry. I believe the recoil from my Ruger SR40 would be too much and would only cause her to not want to shoot anymore. So, I've been looking at some other options. I value the experience and opinions here in TFF and ask for your input. These are what I am looking at, in order of my preference. Size, caliber, price and reliability are all in the mix.

Sig Sauer P938 - 9mm - $699
Walther PPK - .380 - Price unknown
Ruger LC9 - 9mm - $329
Ruger LCP - .380 - $329
Smith & Wesson Shield - 9mm - Price unknown
Taurus PT709 - 9mm - $329
Springfield XDS - .45 ACP - Price unknown
SCCY CPX-1 - 9mm - $265

My LGS says the Springfield .45 has a very manageable recoil, for a .45 ACP and I should look at it. I'm not familiar at all with SCCY, again, my LGS recommends a look.

EDIT: I was originally looking at a Taurus PT740, but, everything I've read indicates some serious recoil, so, with the wife in mind, I dropped that one. I can find plenty of poor reviews for Taurus autos, as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought my XDS for $549 a couple weeks ago. It has a very manageable recoil. It does not conceal nearly as well as the advertisements would have you believe, but it does fit in a vest or coat pocket nicely. I tried the shield, but it felt too small for my meaty hands. The 938 is a nice gun too, but $700 is a lot of money for a tiny gun.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
If looking at Taurus also give a gander at the 24/7 line. Can be had in .45, .40 and 9mm. I have the .40 S&W Pro Compact and would never part with it. Toomany rounds to count and no jams or misfires.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I am kind of looking along the same lines; something easily concealable for summer clothes.
I am down to the XDS or the Baby Glock, but have not fired EITHER at this point -
An aquaintance in LE carries the XDS and raves about it's accuracy and reliability.
But I like the extra shots from getting the 9mm Glock -

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My wife is one of those folks that is very recoil sensitive. I bought her a Ruger SP 101, thinking that she could handle the recoil of the .38's in it. She won't carry it because it's too heavy, but she can shoot it without much problem. So I bought her a small .38 snubie, she complained about to much recoil. So I bought her an LCP, same thing, too much reciol. Smaller lighter calibers do kick more than you might think! I just bought her a Taurus PT 22, we haven't shot it yet, but will probably get that done today, or tomorrow. I know it's not the best choice, but it beats not having anything. I can assure you that if someone was popping off 8 rounds of .22LR at me, I would ducking, dodging, and moving! I say all this to advise you all, let the SO choose her own firearm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"let the SO choose her own firearm."

I think that's good advice, Carver. I just left the LGS. I checked out many of the guns listed above. I really like the Sig P938, but, a little small for my hand and, not .40 S&W, which was my original intent. To get a BUG in .40 so I would not expand my ammo cache. But, it does fit nicely into a pocket and is a very nice piece.
At this point, I don't know what will be manageable recoil for her, so, it's guessing. I don't know if she'll be able to pull the slide. In all, I'd be spending money on what I think would work for her, and I know isn't really what I want. I'm back to wanting a small, sub compact .40 as my BUG. When I get her to the range, I can get a better idea what her limits are going to be as far as recoil, strength to pull the slide, or, would a revolver be better? Then, when the time comes, we'll go to the LGS together and she can look, touch, test for herself. Buying a gun is a personal thing. I know that and shouldn't expect it to be any different for her.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

·
Registered
751 Posts
"let the SO choose her own firearm."

I think that's good advice, Carver. I just left the LGS. I checked out many of the guns listed above. I really like the Sig P938, but, a little small for my hand and, not .40 S&W, which was my original intent. To get a BUG in .40 so I would not expand my ammo cache. But, it does fit nicely into a pocket and is a very nice piece.
At this point, I don't know what will be manageable recoil for her, so, it's guessing. I don't know if she'll be able to pull the slide. In all, I'd be spending money on what I think would work for her, and I know isn't really what I want. I'm back to wanting a small, sub compact .40 as my BUG. When I get her to the range, I can get a better idea what her limits are going to be as far as recoil, strength to pull the slide, or, would a revolver be better? Then, when the time comes, we'll go to the LGS together and she can look, touch, test for herself. Buying a gun is a personal thing. I know that and shouldn't expect it to be any different for her.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
another one to check is the S&W 60-10 stainless .357 3 inch barrel 5 shot pacmyr style rubber grips,, can shoot .38 light target rounds for practice to reduce recoil,, depending on just how recoil sensitive she is,, have found most dont have a problem with it using .38 loads,, is a bit pricier but they dont have to deal with the slide and safety issues,, and a great carry gun,, love mine and most that have shot it love it,,good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
Find a range that will rent handguns, rent a variety, and let her decide what is comfortable. I would like the idea of a 5-shot J-frame in 38 spl for her, but that's me not your wife.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Bersa .380. A woman will have no trouble running it, accurate, goes bang every time out of the box. Easy to break down and clean (wife did it on her own with no problems never having done it before on any pistol).

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
I see you are considering a Taurus.

My motto is that "Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus";)

I have had it with Taurus' line of compact and sub compact auto loaders
FTFs, FTEs, the slide locking back with rounds still left in the magazine.

They have a great customer service dept, and you're gonna need it.
After the 3rd time I sent back my 709, I put it on the table at the gun show and took the first offer

I personally have Keltec and Ruger 380's for pocket guns
love both of them for what they are.

The only issue with the Keltec is that you can't lock the slide back like you can wit the Ruger and the Ruger field strips really easy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I settled on a Beretta Nano in 9mm based on You tube. But the Ruger LC9 looks very attractive also when it comes to size and performance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. I research all of the as much as possible, and I did find a lot of negative with Taurus autos. That has kept me from jumping on it. I had a PT740 in my hands today... just can't shake all the bad press they've got.

One requirement for me is the gun must have a safety. I don't like empty chamber and, without a safety, even if it's only a grip safety, it's out, for me. Beratta has a nice pocket gun in the Nano, but, no safety. Same with KelTec, any Glock, Ruger LCP .380... The list is long. I'm looking!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Find a range that will rent handguns, rent a variety, and let her decide what is comfortable. I would like the idea of a 5-shot J-frame in 38 spl for her, but that's me not your wife.
Good idea. Some women are a bit "jumpy" on recoil even though you do get better with practice.

I still like the smaller revolver, 5 or 6 shot .38, or even a .22LR which can go up to about 8 shots, and yes any is better than none. Hey I wouldn't stand there and want even a .22LR headed my way!!

Don't forget .22 MAG (w/hollow points) with virtually no recoil and more punch.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
I see you are considering a Taurus.

My motto is that "Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus";)

I have had it with Taurus' line of compact and sub compact auto loaders
FTFs, FTEs, the slide locking back with rounds still left in the magazine.
I stand by my Taurus 24/7 and know several others here who have them and NO ONE has reported any issues with this model. Taurus built this one to correct the problems with other Models. It was built to be reliable and to try to sell to police and military. As I have stated I have shot everything from cheapo Blazers to CC ammo with not a misfire or jam. Well in excess of 1000 rounds to date.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I was looking at a S&W Bodyguard in .380 and it would disappear in my pocket.

Ruger makes another .380 called the LC .380. It's the same size as the LC9, but chambered for the .380. It's beefier and a couple oz's lighter than the LC 9.

Not sure how much difference in .380 and 9 in such a short barreled gun. Seems like most of the power will burn outside the barrel. Kinda like shooting a snubbie .357 (flamethrower).

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
One requirement for me is the gun must have a safety. I don't like empty chamber and, without a safety, even if it's only a grip safety, it's out, for me. Beratta has a nice pocket gun in the Nano, but, no safety. Same with KelTec, any Glock, Ruger LCP .380... The list is long. I'm looking!
They all have a safety: keep your finger off the trigger!

I try to avoid buying handguns that do have a mechanical safety. I don't like them. I'd rather just handle the gun safely and not wonder if it will fire when I pull the trigger. I want it to always fire when I pull the trigger.

Different strokes, I guess.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
not on your list.. but if you ar elooking for an EZ carry pocket pistol.. a keltec P3AT is nice. I also love my sig p238 a lil larger though more features..e tc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got a Bersa .380 & luv it. Feels good & well made. Not one hang up yet & research before buying turned up many like histories. The .380 may not have the punch of 9mil but in a gun designed for very close range I'd certainly not want to get hit by one & recoil is very pleasant. My wife shoots .3spl & really was surprised by the Bersa. Good pocket & shoulder-rig gun.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Same here with the Bersa .380. I've shot them (different models) in the past and always wanted one, 1) cause their as accurate as heck and dependable.
I've got the concealed carry model and grown quite fond of it. I bought it as a secondary carry gun and it is easy to conceal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Walther PPK's when you find them can be kinda pricey (500 and Up). The Stycc is a pretty close copy of the KelTec P-11 that's been around for almost 20 years. KelTec's are double action only hammer guns (not striker fired) and the P-11 and the slimmer PF-9 are both about the same size as a PPK. Bersa's have a good reputation and are quite compact. Onething about ladies is the trigger pull for the Double action round. Walthers are very hard while keltecs are reasonable

1 - 20 of 21 Posts