The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...just starting to reload 223/5.56 Remington for the first time. ...after resizing and punching out the crimped primer, my first dozen cases are measuring 1.758 - 1.759.

My manual shows the maximum length for a 223 Remington should be 1.760.

I assume this is OK. Is there an adjustment on the sizing die that will change the case length? I screwed the sizing die out (up) 1/4 turn from the bottom of the shell plate.

Thx...

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Many commercial manufacturers produce brass with lengths below SAAMI specs. What you see is normal, and the process of firing and resizing will stretch your case lengths. You may get a few firings before needing to trim those at 1.680 so consider it a plus.

· Registered
19,159 Posts
ream or swage the primer crimp.. and trimt he cases to the trip to spec if roll crimping. if collet crimping.. not as much care is needed with respect to length uniformity between trim to and case length.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
...just starting to reload 223/5.56 Remington for the first time. ...after resizing and punching out the crimped primer, my first dozen cases are measuring 1.680 - 1.690.

I assume this is OK. Is there an adjustment on the sizing die that will change the case length? I screwed the sizing die out (up) 1/4 turn from the bottom of the shell plate.

Thx...
NO! Adjusting your sizing die will NOT fix/change your case length.

I think you are measuring wrong as 1.680 is crazy short, but if your brass truly does measure that short, toss it in the scrap bucket, then do some figerin to find out what happened and who trimmed it down to nothin,

· Banned
2,751 Posts
...just starting to reload 223/5.56 Remington for the first time. ...after resizing and punching out the crimped primer, my first dozen cases are measuring 1.758 - 1.759.

Thx...
This is backwards and will give you problems. Backing the sizing die out of the press away from the shell holder will cause the case to grow, but not from base to case mouth. It will grow from base to shoulder and the round will be difficult if not impossible to chamber.

Screw the die into the press until it touches the shell holder, lower the ram and screw the die INTO the press 1/4 turn more. Lube and size a case, see if it chambers and extracts with ease, if so GTG, if not keep screwing it INTO the press until it does.

AHH, I see you found your measuring/typing error, good 1.758-1.759 sounds much better.

Case length for the 223/5.56 is 1.760 Max and 1.750 Trim-to-Length. Anywhere in between is acceptable. For best accuracy it's best to trim all cases to the same length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.