The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Top left to right: Palm rest. Don't recognize that one but they wre used on Schuetzen rifles in the US, Europe did not allow them, from the inception of Schuetzen until its demise shortly after WWI. Must have been used in other matches because that one looks too new for the Schuetzen era.

Lyman/Redfield/Marbles aperture sights. I have several rifles so equipped. Early 1900's to today. Match shooting and hunting.

Shooting jacket, match shooting usually. Probably from the 30's through today.

Ray-Ban shooting glasses. Those appear to be from the 80's or 90's according to the case..

More aperture sights.

Shooting mat/pad. Probably from about the 70's or 80's to current.

I have no idea what the manual is in the second post. Second picture looks like a "free pistol", third is an interchangeable aperture front sight. Possibly as early as the 30's. Don't recognize the dude.

Reactions: PRR1957

·
Banned
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top left to right: Palm rest. Don't recognize that one but they wre used on Schuetzen rifles in the US, Europe did not allow them, from the inception of Schuetzen until its demise shortly after WWI. Must have been used in other matches because that one looks too new for the Schuetzen era.

Lyman/Redfield/Marbles aperture sights. I have several rifles so equipped. Early 1900's to today. Match shooting and hunting.

Shooting jacket, match shooting usually. Probably from the 30's through today.

Ray-Ban shooting glasses. Those appear to be from the 80's or 90's according to the case..

More aperture sights.

Shooting mat/pad. Probably from about the 70's or 80's to current.

I have no idea what the manual is in the second post. Second picture looks like a "free pistol", third is an interchangeable aperture front sight. Possibly as early as the 30's. Don't recognize the dude.
I was using palm rests on my Winchester 52 in regional / international / and national championship 4 position events in the 1985-1992 period and had 3 to choose from (still have them)

And while I was present and witnessed the American rifleman interview and photo session focused on young Nicole Panko and an elderly chap who's name escapes me - featuring the youngest and oldest competing shooters at camp Perry with the infamous white huts in the background...
And while I had quite the crush on Nicole despite dating her trap shooting girlfriend Karen...
None of those distractions would have taken enough of my attention to forget the name of one of Nicole's team coaches and noted legend amongst the military and smallbore and high power communities Lones Wiggens...

Any more guesses or closer attestation attempts - any more detailed identification utterances to better nail down the specific nomenclature amongst these generally general match shoot common items???

Mike

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Ahhh...so is Lone's the dude? I don't know a lot about him but legendary is an apt description. I never followed the Nationals at Camp Perry so the other names are unknown to me.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lones ******
Lones was a terrific coach for junior and youth shooters not only in the high power disciplines but amongst the rimfire courses of fire s well...
However as a typically preoccupied adolescent male Nicole panko possessed certain "ahem" 'assets' that to this day are transfixed in my mind and fondly occasionally reflected on...
Combine that with being the magazine teen queen cover girl for American rifleman and you may perceive my once upon a time dilemma...
Now find a link to that trade publication cover and it's incumbent article and I shall smile fondly upon you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts