The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. probably a stupid question.. but can you shoot 22 shorts in a 22lr chambered weapon?

I have 1sa ruger, 2 revolvers, and a couple marlin tube feed guns.

I have been avoiding range time since sand so as to conserve ammo.

I have nothing that specifically is chambered for 22 shorts.. however.. they are the ONLY thing left on one of my local stores shelves.

if i can shoot 22shorts.. i can get some range time..

·
Registered
18,157 Posts
You can shoot shorts. No problems.

If you shoot a lot of shorts you may get a buildup of bullet lube at the end of the short case, and when you then shoot long rifles you may have trouble chambering, and may have trouble getting the fired cases out. Back in the good-old/bad-old days, there was supposedly "chamber erosion" caused by this, but since there are no factory corrosive primers, black powder loaded ammo, and modern guns have steel chambers, not iron, I don't believe it will happen any more. Someone will probably warn you about it, though.

Your 22 revolvers will work fine.

Anything that loads from a detachable box magazine probably will NOT feed them, and you would have to load them one at a time.

The Marlin 39 lever-gun will work with 22 short, longs and long rifles. Marlin bolt guns with tube magazines may also work with all three. Marlin autoloaders with tubes probably won't.

Check the chambering marked on the barrel, for the rifles. The Marlin 39 is marked 22 S/L/LR. So is my Remington 572 pump, and (I believe) the Remington 552 automatic. But if it just says 22 Long Rifle, you will have to single-load 'em.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks.

I have no problem single loading the autoloaders.

sounds like actually lots of revolver time if I want less work, but keep target practice up.

it's about the only ammo available now.

guess nobody shoots 22short in my area.. thus they have a few left.

cool, thanks again

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
My rifle was chambered for .22LR but when I went rabbit hunting I would always shoot shorts. They were my dad's and he wasn't very happy that I was shooting them because they cost more then the long rifles.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
surprisingle the shorts I see are cheap.. about the same as remington lr anyway.. which is mor ethan federal..e tc.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yesterday I paid $30 for 300 rounds and was glad to get it. It was the last my toy store dealer had.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
federal are normally 2$ a box here.. rem about 3$

only way to get cheaper here is to buy in large quantity.

but that hasn't been possible in about 2m.. last 22lr went off the shelf around well.. 12-15 i went shooting and it was scarce...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
When I was a kid, Shorts and Longs were cheaper than .22 LR, needless to say that is what I shot a lot of ( bolt action ). Only cleaned my rifle on rainy days but never had any problems with build up in the barrel.:) Does anyone remember those little flat .22 cartridge boxes. I think they were Peters. It was the same type of box that chewing gum came in, those little square candy coated ones , Cirque's I think. the package had a little cellophane window just like the gum package. I think there where about 25 shorts in a box. There were times when I didn't have enought money ( there was a ressesion in the 1950's too ) for a box of 50 but I could scrape up enought pennies for one of those flat packages.:)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
When I was a kid, Shorts and Longs were cheaper than .22 LR, needless to say that is what I shot a lot of ( bolt action ). Only cleaned my rifle on rainy days but never had any problems with build up in the barrel.:) Does anyone remember those little flat .22 cartridge boxes. I think they were Peters. It was the same type of box that chewing gum came in, those little square candy coated ones , Cirque's I think. the package had a little cellophane window just like the gum package. I think there where about 25 shorts in a box. There were times when I didn't have enought money ( there was a ressesion in the 1950's too ) for a box of 50 but I could scrape up enought pennies for one of those flat packages.:)
Used them to shoot pigeons in the barn because the bullets wouldn't penetrate the roof. They were so quite it didn't seem to bother the birds and I could get a dozen before they got the hint and left the hay mow.

·
Registered
745 Posts
can shoot shorts in almost any 22 just clean the chamber area after,, and have used in in several semi-autos just have to cycle the bolt manually,, most of the time (at least in cali) shorts are more expensive then hi velo stuff :(
can remember buying a box of 50 shorts for $.20 LOL never see those days again,, ya 20cents for a box of 50 those were the days and longs were 35 cents ,, my brother and i growing up would go rooting for soda bottles to turn in at .02 cents each so we could go rabbit shooting

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
can shoot shorts in almost any 22 just clean the chamber area after,, and have used in in several semi-autos just have to cycle the bolt manually,, most of the time (at least in cali) shorts are more expensive then hi velo stuff :(
can remember buying a box of 50 shorts for $.20 LOL never see those days again,, ya 20cents for a box of 50 those were the days and longs were 35 cents ,, my brother and i growing up would go rooting for soda bottles to turn in at .02 cents each so we could go rabbit shooting
Used to buy them at the Western Auto store, lol...still see a few of them stores around but they aren't anything like they were when I was a kid. My first BB gun came from them too.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Western Auto....good ole days.
Sears too, at that time.
Gibson's...before k-mart and wally.

.22shorts, though, will shoot to a different point of aim.
Like a revolver sighted for .357mag, the .38special will shoot
different on target.

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
I think it was in Brownells, but I remember seeing a really cool looking conversion for a Ruger 10/22 that came with a lighter recoil spring and magazine to function with .22 Shorts. Shame it was only a 10 round rotary mag. High capacity mags would have been pretty darn fun. I think the kit got discontinued because I haven't seen it around in awhile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My henry lever is fun to shoot with shorts. I have the sights set for them.
My Heritage sa six shooter is a nice plinker for shooting shorts. I can even shoot the super quiet subsonics that utilize just the primer for plinking in the yard w/o ear plugs. If you are concerned about where your bullets land when squirrel hunting then 22S is the way to go.

most of my semiauto rifles and pistols get a diet of 22
LR because the shorts may be too weak to operate the bolt. Ruger 10/22 aftermarket sells a lightweight bolt and recoil spring for reliability when shooting shorts. 22 semiauto pistols seem to cycle poorly with shorts.

·
Registered
18,157 Posts
Western Auto....good ole days.
Sears too, at that time.
Gibson's...before k-mart and wally.

.22shorts, though, will shoot to a different point of aim.
Like a revolver sighted for .357mag, the .38special will shoot
different on target.
Gibsons. Bought my first pistol there. Gibsons became West Gibsons, became West Brothers, went away.

Got my first gun from W.T. Grants. They went away, too.

Maybe I'm bad luck? :eek: ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.