The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying one of those rifles. Can you shoot shorts in them? It's a bolt gun.
Btw, can I post links?

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
yep - you can post links (not sure if you can shoot shorts in that gun though)

to post a link just type [ URL ]www.linkname.link[ /URL ]

Just leave the spaces out that I put in the brackets

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
It's a bolt action rifle, it should handle cb shorts, shorts, longs, and long rifle. I said it should, but Savage might not have made the magazine capable of handeling all .22 cartridges. So if they did not, then you could still load them one at a time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You can shoot shorts but u will have to do it by hand. I would not shoot many without cleaning the barrel. Shorts will leave a burn mark or a white ring in the chamber and it will be difficult to load a LR in it. Cliff

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to achieve using shorts, but if you want a cartridge with a bit less oomph that will feed properly you might consider .22lr subsonics.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
hit reply too soon.

if those are the ones i spoke of. is it essentially an empty lr case and just the primer?

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
aguilla make those? are they colibre?
Pretty sure both Remington & Winchester make the .22lr subsonics. There's also the CCI .22 CB Cap Long to consider - they'd probably feed better than shorts. I've manually fed & extracted the .22 CB Longs in a 10/22, and they work fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No pic there but I think Marlin makes the same basic rifle but it can be had with tube feed. Handles shorts well. I've handled both. They run around $225 now but were under 200 before this price gouging period.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've shot the CB Longs out of mine with no issue. Haven't tried shorts. They tend not to feed out of removable mags.

*yeah, just noticed the thread was bit ripe*

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I see it's Ripe:rolleyes: but I am still going to make a comment!!

Yesterday, I ordered a Savage Mark II fv-sr to complement my new silencer, I am looking forward to shooting some shorts through it. I live in a subdivision and I plan on a little very quiet squirrel hunting in my back yard with the shorts.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
have you tried the colibri?
I have shot them quite a bit. You have to be very careful about shooting them in a rifle, the first time I fired one, the bullet stuck about half way down the barrel. I like shooting them in my NAA mini-revolver, as I have mentioned before, you can watch them go, all the way from the barrel to the target.

I haven't seen longs in a long time but I do have a couple boxes of shorts, what I have always called CB mini caps.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I only shot about half a dozen more in the rifle that day and had to push at least two more out. When I am able to get my silencer out to the range, I am going to try at least one through the Ruger 22/45.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A short through a suppressor ought to be as silent as it gets. Probably wouldn't cause a blip on a dB meter at two feet.

Rounds marked 'Colibri' are supposed to be primer only and are usually marked for use "only in handguns" due to possibility of a round lodging in a rifle barrel. CB Caps do have a minimal charge of powder to insure the bullet exits.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
T
Rounds marked 'Colibri' are supposed to be primer only and are usually marked for use "only in handguns" due to possibility of a round lodging in a rifle barrel. CB Caps do have a minimal charge of powder to insure the bullet exits.
The Colibri that I have do not say that, I have had them since they first came out and before that warning. I have read that they started putting that warning on them later on because of the problems with rifles. I am actually working on my very last box of them!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd guess "no" but it'd be a guess - based upon the clip feed. Clips allow bullets to slide forward & such may cause jamming. I recently bought a Henry cuz I wanted to shoot shorts after a year of not being able to find a tube fed bolt action. The Henry duz fine! Sounds about like a BB gun with shorts & groups under 1" @ 25 yds. LRs group about 3" higher than the shorts.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
I picked up the Savage Mark II fv-sr this past Friday. I got the FV-SR model because I wanted the threaded barrel for my new-ish suppressor. After Church today I fired a few shorts through it. This rifle fed the shorts from the magazine perfectly with only one hitch when I worked the bolt very slow! I got to tell you that the shorts are so quiet, with the suppressor, that the only thing you can hear is the firing pin hitting the case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts