The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking last night. if I shoot .22 shotshell in my 10/22 will the shot come out spiraling? does it damage the rifling?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Yes the rifling will spin the shot, it won't hurt your gun because it's in a plastic casing.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Shooting shotshell occasionally wont hurt your rifling, but most shotshells are made for single action or bolt action. I doubt they'll feed through your 10/22 or any other semi-auto. (less it's one shot at a time)

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
All the 22 LR shot shells I have are crimped not encased in plastic they feed in my Marlin 60. I have 38 spl and 22 WMR that are plastic capped and yes the shot will spin and range is limited.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For years I hunted frogs on a big river with a Ruger WMR single-6 with bird shot. Somehow I was just never pleased with the performance. I was complaining to my best friend who was a gunsmith. He said let me fix you up with something to kill those big frogs. He told me to bring him a single shot 22 rifle that was well built or just plain sturdy. What I came up with was a bolt action 22 LR repeater that was clip fed. I gave it to my friend and this is what he came up with: He lowered the comb on the stock as you can tell comparing it to the Winchester in the foreground. He removed the clip and installed a hardwood block with groove to make it a self loading single shot; removed all the rifle sites and put a big gorgeous shotgun bead on the mussel end. There is a secret to shooting shot shells in a rifled gun. When you first start shooting them, the riflings try to spin and deform the shot. They scrape lead off the shot and deposit it in the grooves of the riflings. Once you fire around 50 rounds of shot through the rifle barrel, the grooves will completely fill with lead. The shot will no longer try to spin, will not leave the mussel deformed and will have higher velocity. I know someone is going to think that chambering a 22 rifle for 22 magnum is dangerous. In my opinion this is not so. The shot shells create less pressure than a LR high velocity. But, I would never, ever fire a 22 WMR in bullet form. This rifle has basically just been converted to a shotgun. I call it the Frog Master. I've not cleaned the Frog Master other than the chamber in over 200 rounds. the grooves are leaded in and it does a great job. I hope you find this informative......Good shooting......Redworm

106.jpg

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
my stepdad has a 10-22

it will shoot and feed the blu plastic tipped shotshells fine.

it always hung on extraction of the crimped ones...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've tied the shot shell in everything known to man. I know the magnums have a lot more killing power an range.........I tried auto an tube feed an as soon as you rupture the little plastic casing an all those little shot fall in the action, turn out the flashlight the hunt is over. We're talking major league mess. What it all comes down to is whatever works for you..........I'll take the frog master. Hes all business.......Redworm

·
Registered
32 Posts
My suggestion is to get an old single shot rifle and have your gunsmith remove the lands thereby making it a shotgun.
I always have had better luck with the crimped shells.
The range will be very short less 5-7 yards with the 22 LR with the 12 shot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Correct, it would be a cylinder bore "rifle".
If I understand the original post he would be using it to hunt frogs, probably at night and shots would be close.
The sacrifice of an old single shot would probably be just the ticket.
The gunsmithing costs should be reasonable just to ream out the lands.
With the lands removed I would think a tighter pattern would be achieved as there would be no spin.
Just some thoughts

·
Garandaholic
9,520 Posts
it will spin the shot load. The effective range is short, really short.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Stevens made two model crack shots 26 an 16. The 26 each of the models had a smooth bore maybe you could find one of these
or Winchester did manufacture a small number of smoothbore Model 67s

·
Registered
57 Posts
Once you fire one enough it leads in the riflings an you have a smooth bore. I have cleaned my rifles bore one time in 12 yrs an it was a mistake. I got out strips of lead some as long as 8" in pig tail form.........Where it had completely filled the grooves an it had become a smooth bore in a manner of speaking. Once the lead fills in the rifling the shot does not spin. Believe me it will shoot a much tigher pattern at longer range than a rifle that you have removed the lands in an made a cyclinder bore.........I shoot most of my frogs at 15 to 18 ft. You aim at the back of their head an pull the trigger instant frog-leg dinner. Several companies made smooth bore shotguns that shot lr shot but none in 22 wmr to my knowledge......Good shooting.......Redworm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts