The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not my best day but I sure did have fun today shooting my S&W 617 during out monthly Steel Challenge Match.

As long as it took to get use to the red dot sights, I can see having to spend a lot of time dry firing to get use to irons.

I could see my misses before I shot them but was in a too fast to go zone that I didn't just watch the front sight and hit the target. Our last stage was Smoke And Hope and I nailed it for me. One shot one hit per target and I had a decent score.

I used my DS-10 Speed Loaders throughout the match. I used Federal HV Gold Ammo and didn't have one failure. I still need to focus on that front sight to make sure I get my hits. When I did I had one for one hits on the stages.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
5C9FD8D9-1AC1-49D2-A950-2D9BB28A2E40.jpeg
3B6E565F-0EE1-4417-9607-3FE73245D8D0.jpeg
That’s a really nice 10 shot revolver.I was going to buy one to but when I went back to Sportsman’s to buy it they were gone and haven’t seen one since in about 4 months or longer.I went shooting my Ruger SP-101 8 shot the other day for a couple of hours and I really got a feel for aiming the sites on anything I was shooting at.Got a thrill sending desert junk flying a couple feet in the air almost every shot.Put about 400 rounds through it and not one problem with function.
My solution to the ammo shortage!
It’s a good thing I didn’t see a rattlesnake I might have shot it and maybe not.Ha!Ha!
P.S.Look’s like your pretty good with your 617 and your Mark-IV.

·
GUNZILLA
7,575 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Have you modified your 617 at all like replacing springs for a lighter trigger? I just got back from one of the ranges I frequent where I can rent a private bay, and practice drawing from my holster and shooting. I use my 617 first, drawing and doing a double tap in double action. After doing it a 50 times and shooting a hundred rounds I could feel getting week squeezing the trigger. The trigger on the 617 in double action is hard. But when I transition to my 686, shooting this gun in double action from the draw with a double tap it is literally buttery smooth.

Reactions: sparkyv
1 - 4 of 4 Posts