The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the range today and shot the new 300 win mag for the first time. I never shot a big gun like that before niether my son. the winds was blowing hard knocked my can of soda over with the gun bag. the first shot i didnt know what to expect, boy o boy it about knocked my glasses off my head. lol i totally missed the target and hit the cardboard backer. i got up and looked at my son hes 13 and said your turn. he didnt want to do it. if i had a slow motion camera it would have been good. he got bucked like riding a wild horse. but after our first couple shots we tightend it up. the picture is both of us shooting and its at 100 yards. i dont think its that bad for never shooting a big gun. i gotta say too his shot is the closest to the bulls eye. but with practice and patience we will group them tighter each time, now that we know what to expect. it was fun today just getting use to the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was fun and ill beat the recoil. My shoulder don't hurt, at least now maybe tomorrow is a different story. But today was a good fun day. IMO.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
In Chris Kyles book "American Sniper" this was the round he used to gain his reputation as "The Devil of Fallujah". He used it with maximum efficiency until he stepped up to the 338 Lapua on his last tour. God rest his soul.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
I have one that I purchased almost 10 years ago now, a Remington 700 CDL. I haven't shot that bad boy in probably 7 years. Maybe I'll take it out this year for some fun.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It was fun and ill beat the recoil. My shoulder don't hurt, at least now maybe tomorrow is a different story. But today was a good fun day. IMO.
How about the flinch??

I didnt read all of any post. I hope your son didnt shoot it!! Could ruin him for a looonnngggg time and take hundreds of shots to get over it.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
More recoil = more fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I took my 30-06 out last year to work up a load. I wound up shooting it 30 times. That thing hammers me every time I shoot it ......... but I keep going back.

I've probably killed a dozen or more deer with it, a few javelina and some ferrel hogs. Its got to be forty years old. It is a Remington BDL pump. I gave it to my son because my father gave he his bolt action Remington.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
My son got his Savage 308 back from repairs and shot 40 rounds the next day at the range. We shoot at least 100 rounds of 12 gauge at the trap range every week so we are numb to recoil

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I found that using a PAST recoil shield, I could shoot my .300 Winchester again even with back and shoulder problems. That thing really works.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah my son shot it, he maned up and held on like a pro. I was pretty proud he handled it pretty good. Truthfully after I shot it I didn't think he was gunna sit down a shoot it, after he saw the recoil I had. But he had a big smile and we laughed. He sat own and aimed and took his first shot. Never let go. He wanted more. We shot 2 factory rounds each, then all my reloads. Except the compressed after all the replys I left them at the house. But like I said time, practice, patience we will tighten our groups up, tight. Just give us some time. But like gvw3 said " recoil = fun ", and fun we had. Oh and I woke up fine. I don't even feel it in my shoulder, ill have to ask my son how he feels when he wakes up.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I could shoot my 300 all day. If you want to improve your accuracy don't hold it with a death grip. I basically shoot mine one handed off the bench. Right hand on the trigger left hand right behind the right. I find that if you have a death grip you're going to pull the shot. Let the gun do the work and you're groups will tighten up

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright slayer that's what we were doing, holding it tight and it was pulling to the right. Ill try your suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It's going to shoot high with the loose grip but it's definitely going to group tighter. It will recoil back and up opposed to back and right. I would also try shooting at 50 yards also, little confidence booster never hurts.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought a Winchester 338 Win mag about 20 years ago. I can shoot it maybe 12 times and that is it. It weighs a ton and I would not want to carry it in the woods all day.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I bought a Winchester 338 Win mag about 20 years ago. I can shoot it maybe 12 times and that is it. It weighs a ton and I would not want to carry it in the woods all day.
One of my cousins has a T/C bolt action in 338wm. Fairly light with the plastic stock. Have you tried 185gr bullets? Big difference from 250s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts