The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well lost my chronograph yesterday. A gas check seperated from the bullet and put a hole right in the display area of my chrono - just great.

I dont recover all of my bullets but the ones I have with gas checks on them usually still have the checks still on them or sometimes pilled off in the same hole with the bullet. I use std factory copper checks and not aluminum or other homemade type checks. I also typically size upside down so checks dont get pushed away from the bullet or are deformed by the punch but these were hps so I ran top up threw the sizer - that could be a contributing factor.

Anyone else notice lose of gas checks or is this a rare occurance?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Save it. When you get another, use them to make a pair of bookends for your reloading manual shelf.
That's what I'm going to do with a pair of F1 Chrony's that died of bullet holes right through the display.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I know it would be a bit of a pain to have to step up to read between shots but wouldn’t something placed in front of the screen, sandbag, go a long ways to prolong the usefulness of the instrument?

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,787 Posts
Congratulations! I keep missing mine... I guess I will have to try harder...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've posted pictures of this before, but this is what I use to protect my chronograph. Since this picture, I have put another 1/2" piece of cold rolled over the front.

I've hit the front twice, once with 300 Blackout and once with 7mm Magnum. Neither penetrated. The 300 BO barely scratched the paint, it was a subsonic cast load, the 7 Mag dimpled it pretty good. If I hit it in the same place, it might penetrate.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought a new one. One without a cover box and it has a remote screen with a long wire. Dont see dropping the dime on a doppler style. The last was a procomp something or nother the newer one with the screw hole in the bottom for a camera stand. The new one supposed to have it to. The last one lasted a little over a year so I guess I got some of the 120$ out of it. The one before that one was 350$ or so and didnt work as good - I didnt shoot that one it just wasnt worth a hoot - threw it in a trash box after about 3 years and didnt have one for 5 or so years. Anywho the new one is dew in 5 - 6 days. Sorry I cant remember the brand. If its a piece of junk I'll let everyone know what kind it is. Its helps using one to get the most out of pew pew rounds and also on hot load development. The newer powders I have gotton do not act like the older powders for some reason so I have to almost rework every new jug I open. Also have to use differant primers as nothing is availible.

·
GUNZILLA
8,040 Posts
Maybe it is time for a magneto speed chrono or a Labradar .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts