Shot the Nagant Revolver and the Makarov today...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:40:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Shot the Nagant Revolver and the Makarov today...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Put two cylinders of the Russian target wadcutters through the Nagant today...GEEZ is that thing slow and cumbersome to reload, worse than a SAA...

But report and recoil felt like a .22LR, and one SA seven shot group was one hole at 10 yds! 5 horizontal holes touching, with the other rounds 1 above the "line" and 1 below, but ALL touching! Looked like a cross on it's side, NEVER shot a group like that before....

SA it was FINE, double action like pulling on a hand exercise machine, must be about a 32# pull!

But then I tried the Makarov with the new Brown Bear 115 gr JHPs I picked up at the show last weekend....and had my first failures to feed I've ever had with any Makarov...

I had high hopes, that's about the heaviest bullet I've found, and the HP looks pretty "aggressive," thought it would be a good carry round.

It seems to feed well if it's NOT the top two rounds in the mag...if you notice on a Mak mag thats full, when you try to strip the top two rounds, it makes the nose of the bullet "nosedive" into the front of the magazine, tough to unload, but after the first two are gone, the spring pressure then feeds them normally...tried 3 Russian and one EG mag, all the same...must be the geometry of the spring/follower...FMJs, and the 93 gr Barnaul JHPs feed fine...

If I rapped the bottom of the mag, the slide would slam home, and the round would feed...so I THINK the wider mouth of the bigger bullet is catching on either the front of the mag, or the edge of the feed ramp...

I'm going to take the dremel to a mag, widen the front of the mag in front of the lips a little, then use it to "break" the rather sharp edge of the feed ramp...see if I can get these to feed right...will let you know how it works...

Heck, if it works, maybe I can be a Polish MakSmith...

"Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/25/02 12:01:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shot the Nagant Revolver and the Makarov today...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the range report Polish. I always enjoy reading them.

I have one of them Nagants also but have never shot it yet. The DA trigger pull on mine is right up there next to yours. After about 10 pulls of the trigger it takes 2 hands to pull it some more. Moskovskyya has found a way to take it down so it's much more reasonable. Here's a link to his instructions pub31.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm17.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum