The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know zip about shotguns, but I was with my SIL when he was purchasing one from a large Richmond, VA. gun store. The salesman told him that he could not shoot rifled slugs in a full choke barrel. That he needed an IC or open choke. Also, shooting buck shot needed a pretty open barrel, too. What is the truth of this. Can you explain?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I have shoot rifled slugs in a full choke barrel, it won't hurt the gun, but the constriction on the slug will make it shoot way left. If you can live with that, go for it. Slugs will perform better in an open choke, and Foster (rifled slugs) can be accurate out to 100 yards. 00 Buck don't care what choke you shoot it from. I've killed a bunch of deer with full choke shotguns. My longest shot being 65 steps. Caution! If we are talking about screw in choke tubes, then the salesman was correct. The slug will pull the threads out of the barrel, or off of the choke tube.

·
Registered
97 Posts
slayer i have to disagree with you sorry man. I have shot many a slug out of polly chokes. The problem people don't understand is you do not take the shroud off the choke tube. If a shooter does that then yes bad things will happen like split barrels. All polly chokes have at least three settings and i have seen some with 4 settings. All polly's come with settings of Full, Modified, and IC for improved cylinder. This setting IC is usually reserved for the rifled slug. But it is just as good for birds on the fly and bunnies running on the ground. good shooting.

bigdad5

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
slayer i have to disagree with you sorry man. I have shot many a slug out of polly chokes. The problem people don't understand is you do not take the shroud off the choke tube. If a shooter does that then yes bad things will happen like split barrels. All polly chokes have at least three settings and i have seen some with 4 settings. All polly's come with settings of Full, Modified, and IC for improved cylinder. This setting IC is usually reserved for the rifled slug. But it is just as good for birds on the fly and bunnies running on the ground. good shooting.

bigdad5
I agree, screw that polly choke to IC, and go for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shot gun my SIL bought was an 870 Rem. which has screw in choke tubes., so I guess this applies. I want to buy a single barrel break action for a brush gun for deer and these are often modified or full. So, I'm okay shooting the slugs and buck shot? Or am I better off cutting the barrel back?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
The shot gun my SIL bought was an 870 Rem. which has screw in choke tubes., so I guess this applies. I want to buy a single barrel break action for a brush gun for deer and these are often modified or full. So, I'm okay shooting the slugs and buck shot? Or am I better off cutting the barrel back?
I have killed a ton of game with an old single barrel shotgun. I don't shoot slugs in it because I couldn't hit anything past 15-20 yards. But 00 Buck will work well in it, no matter what the choke. Just remember that 00 Buck is only good out to about 65 yards max. I have seen deer killed at 100 with 00 Buck, but the guy got lucky, as only one pellet hit the deer, and in just the right spot. Don't cut the barrel off. Leave it at the 28-30 inches that it came with. We hunt a lot of cut overs down here in the south, a cutover being what's left when the loggers get thru making a clear cut. This stuff is think, and we walk thru it, deer will wait till you are close, and them bust out of there like there's no tomorrow! We use pumps, and auto loaders. I have seen many a deer jump up and run, after being knocked down with a load 00 Buck!

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Thanks guys - interesting reading. I pretty much know zip about shotguns also and back in December I bought one quite cheap. Fired it for the first time when I went to the range last Sunday and I had never even fired a shotgun in my life. My 1953 J.C. Higgins has no choke and is a straight barrel so this information has been educational. One thing I found out for sure is that NOBODY wants to be on the receiving end of a 12 gauge 00 buckshot load!

All of my shooting over my lifetime was with pistols, rifles and machine guns (I most definitely miss my Uzi). With the work I did, you don't use shotguns.

·
Registered
97 Posts
WHSmithIv [/COLOR]your Jc Hiiggins does have some kind of choke built into the barrel and i will be happy to help you determin what you have yes there really is a way. First to determine weather you have a full or lesser choke take a dime ( yes dime ) and put it in the end of the barrel. If the dime doesnt go down the tube then you have a full choke built into the shotgun from the muzzle end that is. If the dime does go down the muzzle then most likely you have a modifield choke and it will fire anything you want to put in it as long as you stay with in the caseing lenght scribed on the barrel. To determine what your choke is and shell lenght just look on the barrel and it will say Mod or Full. And in the same area it will say 2 3/4 or 3 inch for the chamber lenght . Remember you can not put a 3 inch shell in a shotgun designed for 2 3/4 chamber. You can however shoot 2 3/4 shells all day long in a 3 inch chamber . I hope this clears up any questions in choke and chamber questions. Good shooting.

bigdad5

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Thanks for the info bigdad.. I took a good look - the etching on that side of the barrel was difficult to read. I knew the shotgun is chambered for 2 3/4 shells but didn't know about the choke - with a magnifying glass I was able to see that the barrel says Full so, therefore it must have a full choke built in. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
You are correct if it says full it is full but you should also try the dime trick it is kind of cool . And you will have a way of looking at older guns that may be unreadable as you said about your huggins others may be in worse shape. Good shooting lol offered by your friendly New York State Hunter Ed. Inst.
There is one other peace of info that could serve you in the future and that is in a choked barrel aka fixed choke like yours the choke is only in the last 2.5 inches of the muzzle.

bigdad5

Thanks for the info bigdad.. I took a good look - the etching on that side of the barrel was difficult to read. I knew the shotgun is chambered for 2 3/4 shells but didn't know about the choke - with a magnifying glass I was able to see that the barrel says Full so, therefore it must have a full choke built in. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was my pleasure to help please let me know if you have any other questions. There are tons of well qualified shooters in the forums but it is hard to give info and make it understood unless your used to teaching it . I have been a firearms instructor for 30 years i hope it shows and how much i enjoy helping people shoot. LOL you should see my 8 year old grand daughter she will be special with a rifle, Shoot well .

bigdad5

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
The "Rifled" ribs on foster slugs are not to make them spin, but to allow them to constict enough to shoot them safely through "full" chokes

Years ago (the 1960's) Remington was so afraid they would "blow out" full choked barrels with their slugs thay made them (7/8 Oz) smaller than everyone else, and their accuracy and reputation suffered.

I grew up in "shotgun only for deer" New York and learned that the hard way. You ONLY shot Winchester or Federal slugs.

But with the 1 Oz Remington "Sluggers," it changed...now they are among the most accurate Foster Type slugs you can shoot.

My 1897 WInchester Riot with a cylinder bore barrel will group 1 oz Remington 2 3/4" "Sluggers" into 2" at 50 yds, and 5" at 100, from a bench.

My biggest buck with it was a Hoosier Record 8 point I killed with one shot at 192 yds, holding about a foot high over his back, with a perfect setup using my front rail of my stand as a rest...

Each shotgun "tube" will shoot slugs differently than even the SAME barrel on the same gun made one serial number later! Shotgun barrels are NOT made like rifle barrels....

My Uncle owned a 36" Extra full "Goose Gun" that shot slugs remarkably WELL... Family lore has that he Killed a nice buck with it at 110 yds...

I had a friend that won every "turkey shoot" he entered with his Mossberg 500 slug gun, so much so both his Father and Brother both bought a Mossberg 500 slug gun JUST like his...and neither shot anywhere NEAR as accurately as his did.

The rule of thumb is that ALL shotgun barrels are designed for SHOT....

SOME are GREAT with slugs and some SUCK, the rest are so-so...

You buy a shotgun, shoot it with slugs, if it is ACCURATE, you hold on to it...

IF not, immediately sell it for what you paid for it, and buy another...ad infinitum, UNTIL you find one that will shoot slugs accurately.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
The "Rifled" ribs on foster slugs are not to make them spin, but to allow them to constict enough to shoot them safely through "full" chokes

Years ago (the 1960's) Remington was so afraid they would "blow out" full choked barrels with their slugs thay made them (7/8 Oz) smaller than everyone else, and their accuracy and reputation suffered.

I grew up in "shotgun only for deer" New York and learned that the hard way. You ONLY shot Winchester or Federal slugs.

But with the 1 Oz Remington "Sluggers," it changed...now they are among the most accurate Foster Type slugs you can shoot.

My 1897 WInchester Riot with a cylinder bore barrel will group 1 oz Remington 2 3/4" "Sluggers" into 2" at 50 yds, and 5" at 100, from a bench.

My biggest buck with it was a Hoosier Record 8 point I killed with one shot at 192 yds, holding about a foot high over his back, with a perfect setup using my front rail of my stand as a rest...

Each shotgun "tube" will shoot slugs differently than even the SAME barrel on the same gun made one serial number later! Shotgun barrels are NOT made like rifle barrels....

My Uncle owned a 36" Extra full "Goose Gun" that shot slugs remarkably WELL... Family lore has that he Killed a nice buck with it at 110 yds...

I had a friend that won every "turkey shoot" he entered with his Mossberg 500 slug gun, so much so both his Father and Brother both bought a Mossberg 500 slug gun JUST like his...and neither shot anywhere NEAR as accurately as his did.

The rule of thumb is that ALL shotgun barrels are designed for SHOT....

SOME are GREAT with slugs and some SUCK, the rest are so-so...

You buy a shotgun, shoot it with slugs, if it is ACCURATE, you hold on to it...

IF not, immediately sell it for what you paid for it, and buy another...ad infinitum, UNTIL you find one that will shoot slugs accurately.
Good information here, thanks! I have also learned that the shotgun you have found that shoots slugs well, will usually only shoot that brand of slug well, and nothing else will come close. I had one that loved Remington, but would not shoot Federal, or Winchester worth a hoot. We did a lot of swapping around when I was a kid, just trying to find the right gun. I've seen shotguns shot a pattern at 30 yards that had a hole in middel of the pattern, like a donut. A gallon milk jug was safe. Every shotgun, just like every rifle, will shoot best with one particular brand of ammo. Bullet witght/slug weight, design, and manufacturer, does come into play, and will determine where your point of impact will be with every gun you shoot. They will all be different. Experiment! Try different loads from different manufacturers. As stated above, if you can't get anything to shoot well in the gun you own, sell it, buy another!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.