The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into duck hunting. I'm looking at a H n R 20 ga pump and a maverick 88 20 ga pump. Would either of these be sufficient to begin with.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes both of those guns well take ducks and are good starter guns. A a kid I killed sevreal mallard ducks and pheasents with my trusty HR single 20ga.If possable you might want to look at 12ga you might get better results. The 20 ga is a good choice but it has its limits. I could be wrong (havent hunted ducks in 5 years) And I useally am but looking around stores and shops I noticed that some 12ga shells were cheaper than 20ga and easyer to find. Best of luck to you and have fun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
20 Ga. is fine, just live with the limitations of a smaller shot load than a 12. I have not hunted ducks in years, but, I took many as a child with a .410 and 20ga; the ducks could not tell the difference.
Please do pattern your gunswith the type of shot you intend to hunt with before you go out for the first hunt; you may have to try a few different loads or choke combinations (provided you have screw in chokes) to find what works for you. Maybe try a few rounds of skeet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts