Shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by USMC0331, Nov 22, 2015.

1. USMC0331

USMC0331 New Member

I just recently purchased a Mossberg Model 88 and I wanted to see if anyone here had advise on shells, attachments and etc on this gun, specifically for home defense.

2. missourikid

missourikid Well-Known Member

I generally use 00 buck for home defense out of my Maverick 88, most of your attachments will be interchangeable with the 500 from Mossberg since they are basically the same weapon just a different name and price. The only modification that I have done so far is to change out my buttstock for a collapsible one. And make sure that you use either the Improved Cylinder or Modified Choke for the 00 buck

carver likes this.

3. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A mag extender is a good idea, and maybe a Tactical 5 Shell Side Shell Holder. 00 Buck is good, and won't spread out across a room, it will hit almost as a solid mass. And 00 Buck is rather lethal at distances out to 50 yards. While I don't like lights on guns, that would be your choice. You don't need a lot of bells, and whistles. KISS

crystalphoto and missourikid like this.
  4. missourikid

That's the only two items that I'm missing the shell holder and mag extender.

5. carver

If you do a little shopping around you can get both for around $100.

missourikid likes this.
  6. missourikid

thanks They both would come in handy during deer season and other times too.

7. USMC0331

USMC0331 New Member

G2G, here's what I've planned mentally so far: attachable flashlight, heat shield(mayber), clapsable buttstock, and maybe upgraded sites from just the bead. I didn't realize that I could attach a magazine to it, any recommendations for upgrades sites and magazine? Also I just purchase the PDX-1 ammo, what are your thoughts on that specific ammo?

8. missourikid

I've never shot the PDX-1ammo because my secondary security round is 1 ounce rifled foster slugs.
    The collapsible buttstock I have is from www.knoxx.com. I just have to get the action arms to put the forearm on.

9. carver

Your magazine is the tube under your barrel. You can buy extenders that will allow you carry 5, 7, or even 9 rounds in your gun, more it you want to spend the money. I can tell you right now that if you turn that light on, mounted to your gun, the BG (bad guy) has a great target to shoot at, and you're holding it!

missourikid likes this.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A light on a self defense gun is NOT a good idea.
    As Carver said it gives the bad guy a target.
    Mike

missourikid likes this.
  11. USMC0331

USMC0331 New Member

MissouriKid: thank you for website, As far as the PDX1, it has a slug and 3 bbs in it. I don't think I'm gonna stay with that, in gonna eventually get a ..00 for the gun.

Carver: when I first heard magazine I was thinking actual round magazines for pistols and rifles lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Where woul one purchase magazine extenders? And what's legal?

missourikid likes this.
  12. missourikid

Another thing before you replace the stock make sure you don't have to buy replacement action arms for the pump, that's where I messed up.

13. carver

What's legal depends on where you live, and what you are hunting with it! You can buy them over the counter in almost any gun store, or you can buy them on line. Just google "12 gauge magazine extenders". You'll get thousands of hits!

missourikid likes this.