The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.. mistake or not, i 'stepped in it' today.

i picked up a used but serviceable looking mec in 16g, plus 200 new/primed remington hulls, plus 3 bags wadding, the mec book ( i think ), a few pages zeroxed ofout of a manual with laod data, plus a lyman shotshell relaoding manual.

100$

maybee i got took. maybee not. either way i'm in.

I got an old mec of some sort inthe garage i was given. worse ondition.. but still looks workable. not sure what caliber it is.

I have access thru my brother to 1k shotshell primers.. and a bag of shot.

no powder yet. thumbing thru the lyman manual looking at 16g laods.

looks like the following are listed

herc
800x
blue and red dot

will have to set and think about all this.

I've never reloaded shotshells. metalic cartridges.. yes.. etc.

open to warnings, tips, clues. ridicule for undertaking shotshell reloading..e tc. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ive been reloading shotgun for about 1 year.I use redot and have had no problem.I think reloading shells are funner than centerfire.I also used clays from alliant.I use a Lee load all II so I dont know alot about mec reloaders.But from what your telling me you got for 100 dollars you didnt do bad.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have clays powder. but i find nothing mentioning it for 16g in the lyman manual.

on the clays jug it mentions 12g.

anyone here using clays for 16g?

i won't be able to 'play' till i get some powder. :)

thanks

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking at the imr/hogdon site.. i see a 1oz load of lead shot in a rem hull can use clays.. 13.5grs.. etc. 11kpsi and over 1k mv looks to be on the high end.

hopefully i can find some dedicated shotgun powder??

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
I have also done shotshell loading for a bit. I have the 600jr and a pacific dl-155 but I only load 12g.

books I have for reference. feel free to ask for data;

hodgden 1993
hercules 1992
hercules 1983

the older hercules has data for 16g remington-peters hulls with either plastic express high velocity or shur shot-victor (composition base wad -white color). being it is hercules there is no data for clays, but it does have red blue green unique and herco.

if you PM me your # I can text you a cell pic of each chart

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have a Mec Jr. in 12 ga. and use Red Dot it's a breeze once you get the hang of it. Very simple my wifes father used to pay her $1.00 box to reload when see was growing up. Your hundred bucks was well spent and you have a fine press. Enjoy

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
+1 on you getting a good deal; even the single stage presses are well over $100, they really don't wear out so unless it's damaged, you are in good shape. Some parts may need replaced like springs or small parts, MEC is ridiculously fast and great customer support. Last order I did for some spare/replacement parts, I placed the order on monday I think, had it in less than 48 hours!

Clays is by far my favorite powder for 12g target loads, I imagine it works just as well in the 16.

Primers should be readily available for shotgun, there's a fair amount where I'm at still despite the shortages.

If you need a schematic or parts list, just go onto MEC's site, they have a full breakdown and pdf instruction manuals for you.

for loading data, I use an old one, don't remember the brand but it's just called 'reloading for shotgunners' but the lyman 5th edition is very good and is the latest and greatest that I'm aware of. Hodgon's freebie is also one I use heavily.

good score!

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i believe this is a 600 jr .

tell me about the powder bushings?

different bushings for different powders or?

·
Registered
280 Posts
The bushings are all different sizes and will drop different weights of powder. They will fit into the charge bar, it determines the weight of shot dropped. Bars are code numbered for example 302 118. The 302 is for single stage presses like the 600jr. The 118 means the bar drops 11/8oz of shot.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/PowderBushingBar/Bushing.asp

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll have to read up on this.

i asusme if I am only doing 1 load setup.. then I only need 1 busing then.. correct?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the charg bar the red piece which can slide back and forth up where the 2 bottles are?

·
Super Moderator
28,052 Posts
is the charg bar the red piece which can slide back and forth up where the 2 bottles are?
Yes it is. It should have numbers stamped on it. One side is set for shot weight and the powder bushing goes in the other side

·
Super Moderator
28,052 Posts
Or you could purchase the adjustable charge bar that Mec offers and never need to buy any bushings or preset charge bars. They can add up with 40 something different powder bushings and 20 some charge bars.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok.. more info.

it IS a 600jr

here's a bad pic :)

red bar says 302 100

i have another older one in worse condition in the garage.. not sure what gauge it was designed for.

not pictured are the 2 bottles that set on top. i got those

Attachments

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
next stupid question from a mec/shotshell relaod newifile :)

in the red bar 302/100 was a ? bushing.. a MEC 29

Now.. looking at this press and the other i had. it's clear the other is a parts press.. missing stuff.

however it has a red bar marked 302 200 ( single stage / 2 oz? ) guessing.

it has a bushing in it, MEC 45

sonow. back to what i got.

16g press and a charge bar setup for 10z shot. what's that bushing tell me the 29

basically what i'd like to do is start relaoding a test batch.. with just what i have and minimal other purchase. so i need to see what that bushing tells me.. and then see if i have a suitable powder on hand.. or if i need to find another powder. also need to find the shot size i need.

gander has 10# shot bags for 34$ walmart for a HUGE 45$

apepars both have 7-8-9 or something in that range. not sure if i saw a 7.5 or not.

i need to find out what i'm capable of making with , for now, minimal purchase. I MAY get a bag of shot from my bro.. if i can pry it outta his hands.... not counting on that yet. :)

I did look over my stash of goodies I got in theis and did find some packs of primers. so i do have shotshell primers on hand.

teach me more. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts