The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this clearly refurbished Russian SKS in my possession, but
I am not sure that it has been fired since that process unless they test-fired it for a couple of rounds. I understand that since it is refurbished, it has no collector value. Only a shooter.

My questions to you guys are: would the value of this rifle go down by any significant margin if it is fired vs. unfired (since the refurb. process)? Is there any bonus to having it stay in that condition?

My reasoning is that when I purchased it, my initial inspection revealed an unmarked bolt face (no rings), clean piston head, unmarked bolt carrier portion under the clip guides, and no carbon or powder residue on ANY surface inside or out.

The stock is an xxx-out, chromed piston but not a chrome-lined barrel, a few early features common to the '51s, and a light surface rust on three of the springs (have been hit with lubriplate chain & cable fluid). As far as I can tell it is not all numbers matching, for the gas tube, piston rod, and bolt ejector are force-matched via electro-pencil. The extractor is likely a replacement since it is parkerized or something of that nature. The EP-ed piston and gas tube could be the same deal. The bayonet could be as well.

The bore is almost new, only dusty from my muzzle cover fibers.

I appreciate the input.

Attachments

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Choot it!

· Registered
2,501 Posts
Refurbished, non-matching numbers, mis-matched parts. IMHO the only way this would increase invalue is if it was the last one on earth. Since it has no collectors value why did you buy it if not to shoot? The only weapon I own that has not been shot was a NIB commenrative. Regardless of so called quality or collector value every gun I buy is bought for use. I have no use for closet queens.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it for my first SKS, and it had to be a Russian. It was the first one to come into my favorite haunt for a few months. The price wasn't too bad, either.

Thank you, now I'll have to try her out!

· Banned
5,425 Posts
I'm with everyone else SHOOT! :D

· Garandaholic
9,566 Posts
Refurbished, non-matching numbers, mis-matched parts. IMHO the only way this would increase invalue is if it was the last one on earth. Since it has no collectors value why did you buy it if not to shoot? The only weapon I own that has not been shot was a NIB commenrative. Regardless of so called quality or collector value every gun I buy is bought for use. I have no use for closet queens.
+1

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thank you very much for the input guys. I will go ahead and fire it a few times when I can, then I can enjoy cleaning it of residue for the first time!

My mind finally made on this one, I now have to figure the same thing out on an arsenal refurbished M1903A1 Springfield... That'll come later.

· Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Shoot it! hurry up and SHOOT..before it gets away!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.