The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Here’s a picture of my Grampa’s Arisaka that he brought back from WWII. He spent most of his deployment in Peleliu Palau. I’d like to know the model, date of manufacture and if you think it would be worth restoring. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Rectangle Font Metal Commemorative plaque Event

·
TFF Chaplain
23,575 Posts
That has to be one of those ghost guns!!

With some imagination you should be able to make it whatever you want.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
A few more posts and you might just have a whole rifle. I remember back in the 60s when they sold complete Arasakas from Western Surplus Store in Hawthorne California - your choice from wooden cracker barrels - for $15. Nobody wanted them. Another shop in East LA sold pristine Trapdoor Springfield rifles (they had maybe 200 of them in gun racks along the walls) for $125 each - your choice. Of course that was when 1903s sold for $65 and 98k Mausers sold for $35 each.

Arasakas, 7mm M93 Mausers and British .303s were all $15 each. Surplus ammo was a-penney-apiece.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
A few more posts and you might just have a whole rifle. I remember back in the 60s when they sold complete Arasakas from Western Surplus Store in Hawthorne California - your choice from wooden cracker barrels - for $15. Nobody wanted them.

Arasakas, 7mm M93 Mausers and British .303s were all $15 each. Surplus ammo was a-penney-apiece.
Gibson's dept. stores sold them like that in the late 60's and early 70's but they had 98's in them too you just had to dig for them. They had them in 55 gallon drums. The first Mosin Nagants I saw were at a gun show. They were 9.00 apiece and nobody wanted them. I picked one up and looked at it but it didn't take me long to put it down and walk away.

·
Premium Member
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not $15 but what got me started in “collecting” was buying an $89 hex receiver MN91/30 from Big 5 and they too were covered in consmolene and in a barrel It came with a bayo and cleaning kit to boot. Picked the hex because it was different then the others. The finish on the wood was flaking off pretty badly so decided to strip and refinish the stock. Darn thing came out pretty good if I say so myself.
Hand tool Wood Tool Musical instrument accessory Wood stain
Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel
Musical instrument Wood Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts