SHTF-Survival rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Palmetto, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

well said nmckensie,, sounds like we grew up about the same,, I live in a semi-rural area at present,, couple yrs back had a big storm come thru (no snow here but it got down to 40) we were without power for 8 1/2 days,, most couldnt cook cause they didnt think the barB would work in winter :( and their gas stove wouldnt light cause it takes elect to run the ignitr (never heard of a match) i was the only one on the (country size) block that had lights n heat, watched TV and was on my PC,,, cause i had a generator on wheels,, so i could move it over to the neighbors and run their pumps to fill their well tanks,,, made them buy the gas, (they had to drive 20 miles to get),,, 5yrs later only one other got a generator for the next time ( when ever),,and GOD forbid they would have to shoot and skin a cute lil bunny for dinner :(

2. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

they can be granfathered in,,, how about a 12 inch,12ga HOWA ??? an aquaintence son ( 17 with a load of guns) was arestted when he got a speeding ticket for helping move his grandfathers collection,,and had one in the back seat ,,, after the judge was given the history of the weapon chastized the cop for not knowing anything ( A VERY RARE judge)

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Believe what you wish.

4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

That is corect.
    IF you have one that is under 18 inches weather it came from the factory or not it is jail time if you are caught.
    I have sold the Henry survival to allot of people and they say it shoots great and is a accurate gun.
    Mike

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

+3

6. DJnRF

DJnRF Member

If your shotgun with an illegal barrel length was manufactured long enough ago you can get a CFR license for it easy and cheap. That license is for curios and relics, and is not just for one gun. If it does not fall in the age for that license you could just get a regular FFL. That one just costs a bit more. Even then the $100 per year is not bad and you can then deal in firearms and ammo. You would have to be sure to log that shotgun in your records, and get all the info you can on how, and where you acquired it. Doing either of these things can keep you out of a pickle.

7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

and if it's an NFA weapon.. NEITHER of those 2 FFL class license will help a bit unless it had already been on a registry and was on paper. usually a form 4. if it ain't.. and it is not antique.. or removed from the NFA... then it's scrap iron that needs a rcvr cut job so as not to be accidentally and erroniously mistaken as SBS

8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that.

9. DJnRF

DJnRF Member

Very true! However, from what was stated, and info provided
    earlier in here, there is a number of ways to show the proper
    documentation of either old, or current manufacture so that
    it conforms to the 'fit' of either of those two categories. Now,
    should it still be found to be outside either of those categories
    a license may still be had so as to keep it. Of course, that
    class license will cost more. It just all depends upon the person
    to having what is needed, and the desire to keep it. Maybe
    even purchasing a new barrel of a legal length.

10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

you just havn't really researched this have you?

if he's making a SBS.. he needs to have the form 4 and tax stamp in hand before making a AOW / SBS..

if this was just a C&R weapon that was nfa.. it would still have to be legaly transferable.. if it wasn't registered or hit an amnesty registry.. it won't be transferable now.

keep it..? sure.. remove the 'damaged' bbl and put new ones on comes to mind!

11. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

:)

dbcooper likes this.
  12. anthony barbuto

anthony barbuto New Member

wow....did this thread travel off the subject....rather than re hash...i would like to put in my two cents. I live up state NY and next to a city. The inhabitants are not known for their church going but rather for their street hanging out...I mean that at the drop of a hat, expect a riot. I live in a senior apartment complex and expect the zombies will come as they figure we oldsters will be easy pickings...I am on social security and work PT so don;t have a lot of bucks.....can't aford an AR type rifle even if I could legally buy one ( local laws against magazines with > 10 rounds.)....my survival guns are mossberg model 500 12 gauge w #4 buck shot, ruger mini 14, an original model 180 from 1976, with 5 and ten shot mags ( once again I had to cut my 30 round mags to comply with local law....1, 30 round mag made 3, 10 shot mags, just add springs, followers and magazine bottom)....I have an old 1903a3 30-06 for sniping and recently bought a mossberg 622....I know the world swoons at the ruger 10/22 but being poor, i can't afford a $300 22 Lr gun...I bought my other long guns over a period of 30-40 yrs including years when I made decent money. Now on SS and working PT, I wanted a 22 lr, long gun for shtf and for bugging out. The other guns make too much noise if I wanted to pot a squirrel for food ( we have woods behind our apt building)...and 500 rounds of 22 are small to carry and in expensive..I carry 5 extra loaded mags in a but mounted ammo bag, so have 60 rounds of 22 lr on the gun at all times. I examined a lot of 22 rifles and the marlin papoose and Marlin 60 get a lot of ++++ reviews but I am poor so the $100 mossberg 22 lr rifle I bought at walmart will have to do...I have examined it and see a lot of potential in the gun. Its plastic hollow stock has lots of room to carry stuff...If we get over run in the apartment house and i exhausted my other ammo would bug out with the mossberg and a bug out bag and head for the woods to the north.(i would cache the now empty long guns...hope i make it back to them some day)......the 22 makes the most sense...the other guns are too heavy and the ammo takes up too much space...can't eat guns nor ammo would rather have some canned meat to eat...once away from the zombies can pot squirrels and rabbits and eat the greens in the woods....thats my 22 shtf 22 gun; mossberg model 702.....$100 at walmart and with a lot of potential to store stuff in the plastic stock....can free float the barrel to increase accuracy and can install a cheap 22 cal scope on the receiver which is slotted for same...the metal sites are good for my old eyes...i added a sling to it to improve shooting accuracy and to carry..and if i meet a zombie in the woods....10 x 40 grains=400 grains, thats a lot of lead to stop a zombie...

13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Just remember, we are NOT a subversive forum.

carver and One Shot like this.
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Minor correction.

Form 4 is a transfer. If I have a SBS and I'm selling it to you, we TRANSFER it from me to you on a Form 4.

If you're MAKING it - cutting down a full-size gun - you use a Form 1.

Still costs $200, but it's a different form. :)

I agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.