The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box of Sierra 45 caliber .4515 diameter 185 grain FPJ bullets and would like to reload them. I cannot find anything in my Lyman 47th book about them. What would be a close enough match to reload these? I am using Titegroup for powder ad CCi large pistol primers. I checked on the Hodgdon powder web site but they only list JSWC. Very new to reloading. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
My Lyman #49 does not show anything for Titegroup either. The Hornady #8 manual shows Titegroup minimum 5.5 grains and the maximum of 6.1 grains with either an XTP or FMJ.

I am guessing a FPJ stands for Flat Point Jacketed, if so this information will work for it.

BTW, Welcome to TFF.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a box of Sierra 45 caliber .4515 diameter 185 grain FPJ bullets and would like to reload them. I cannot find anything in my Lyman 47th book about them. What would be a close enough match to reload these? I am using Titegroup for powder ad CCi large pistol primers. I checked on the Hodgdon powder web site but they only list JSWC. Very new to reloading. Thanks
My sierra manual for titegroup says - start 4.5gr to max 6.2gr for C.O.L 1.155 with starline brass and fed150 primers. I have loaded these before at 5.9gr with good results. in fact the manual says 5.9gr titegroup to be most accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was given a box of 100 and thought I would just plink around and test different loads. I saw where the question was asked back in 2001 but they where using different powder. FPJ as I was told and read on Sierra web site is Full Profile Jacket. I have the Lyman 49th edition was was not sure if I could use the 185 gr JHP as a referrence. I have order a sierra book and Hornady but not received. Would it say what the OAL that I should use?

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
I got a better question, before folks start giving recipes.

WHICH 45 ARE YOU LOADING???

I, myself, load ACP, Colt, Casull and Webley. All 45, and all totally different loads.

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
I assume he means .45 ACP, but you know what they say about ASSuME. The Hornady book shows 1.225 OAL for the XTP in a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Government style 1911 5" barrel. Yes 45 ACP. I believe oldgunfan answer it if I would read and not glase over.

·
Premium Member
18,802 Posts
i'm impressed that you went all the way back to 2001 looking for your answer. Has this forum been going that long?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts