Sierra game king 223 load data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mattyg, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:46 PM.

1. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

So I got some 65gr game kings to load for my AR. Thinking this would be a good deer/hog round. I bought some CFE223 powder but can’t find the load data for this combination. Bushmaster 5.56 upper 1:9 twist 16”bbl if that helps. Can anyone shed some light on the subject, or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Sierra V Edition has that bullet for .223AR but doesn't list a load with CFE223. Sierra lists the 65 and 63 grain bullets together in the same table sharing the same data. Hodgdon's website has a load for .223 for the Sierra 63 grain SP. I'd use the Hodgdon data starting low and working up.

drymag, Mattyg and slayer like this.

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Try 6mmbr.com, go in to the .223 page and scroll down to the section dealing with loads specifically for the AR.

Mattyg likes this.
  4. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

Ok I’ll see if that helps I’m really just looking for a starting point and a max load

5. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Just e-mail Sierra and ask them what they would recommend. Otherwise it is a guess with a homemade recipe for that specific bullet weight and powder.

6. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

Sent I’ll share any info I get back

7. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

This is what Sierra sent me back....

We didn't use it in our testing yet.
    The 63 grain bullet actually has more bearing surface than the 65 grain bullet does.
    I would use the 63 grain data, and as always, Start low and work up in small increments while watching for and checking for signs of pressure during your load development.
    Thanks,

^^^^^^^^^Good call ^^^^^^^^

ms6852 and drymag like this.
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just re-barreled an AR, and he's getting real good results with the Sierra 60 gr. Varmit bullet, launched with Hodgden CFE 223.

Mattyg likes this.
  9. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

I’ve heard really good things about the CFE223 powder that’s one of the reasons I went with it. A lot of guys get good results from Varget as well, but a lot of guys don’t. I’ve also heard it’s as dirty as it is accurate. I’m not about that life! Lol

10. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just connected dots...

Mattyg likes this.
  11. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I find the recommendations a bit curious. Not that this is cast in stone and ignoring materials in the bullet, but typically my own 223 bullets are longer as they get heavier. That would mean to me they have more bearing surface to contact the lands as long as we are using bt to bt and fb to fb.
    On the powder recommendations, a general rule of thumb some use in some instances is bullet grain up, powder grain down. Using the lower grain bullet powder recommendations to start from seems contrary to that.
    I'd look for some more recommendations and then compare to what you researched in the reloading manuals and call the manufacture of the case you are using then ask their recommendations. It's not their bullet, but you are using their case product. You might get some info that might help as you build your decision.

Mattyg and ms6852 like this.
  12. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

The 63 grain is a flat base and the 65 grain is a boat tail so that might be something. I really like my face and my rifle. Just don’t wanna do anything considered stupid. There is a YouTube channel Johnny’s reloading bench or something like that that has done some work with this combination, guess I’m just going to have to do more research.

drymag likes this.
  13. Mattyg

Mattyg Member

Ok so 5.56 vs. 223 cases. Does one handle higher pressures better? A simple yes or no is fine, as I DO NOT want to go down that worm hole of arguments. Actually disregard this question

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM