The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to go to the range today. I wasnt able to stand very long the back was burning to beat all hell but I did get to fire about 100 rounds.

Mind you I didnt clean the gun and it was brand new out of the box.

First magazine had 3 failure to feed using 36gr Winchester bulk box 1380 fps HV.

The second magazine had 1 failure to feed using the same ammo 36gr Winchester.

Every magazine after I used Blazer 40gr 1235 fps HV and the gun ran perfectly. Not one hicup or failure of any kind.

The gun came with 3 front sights and I didnt look at them but I do believe the middle height one is in the gun and the gun shot very well with the factory installed sight.

I had posted on another thread I was thinking of getting the performance enhancement kit for this gun but now Im thinking differently. The only way Im going to get the kit is if the hex screw strips out.

No kidding this gun has a great feel and is just a few ounces lighter then a 1911 in 45 acp when loaded. For the 348 dollars it is well worth the money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good report, especially with good results.

There's no reason for the allen screw to strip out. You simply tighten until snug then 1/4 turn and it should be fine. If you do find the allen screw backing out while shooting, then do that last turn 1/2. It doesn't have to be torqued in.

For a parts dealer to suggest that it is safe to remove the allen screw by adding their parts seems a bit irresponsible.

Shoot often, be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Junkking, Dad and I have been tempted by this gun. A LGS ran a special on them for $299. Didn't pull the trigger yet. It did have a good feel and some weight to it. Some of us Mosquito owners have felt a little betrayed by its poor performance (accuracy and trigger pull) much less its hunger for only CCI ammo. It gives you hesitancy with Sig's .22 line of semi-autos.
Take care and good luck with your back. That struggle effects everything.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Qwiksdraw, I was really thinking of buying that kit until today when I fired the gun. I see no reason for it like you said. The gun fires fine it just doesnt like the lighter bullets. Although the 36gr were lead and were peeling off of the feed ramp. Maybe a copper plated 36gr would work. The 40gr worked just fine.

Giladan, They recommend CCI ammo for this but CCI is only 1235 FPS. I looked at all of my bulk ammo and they are either 36gr 1280 fps or 40gr 1235 fps. CCI may be more reliable but Im only plinking and dont need to spend 12 dollars for 100 rounds when the bulk I have here works the same maybe a little dirtier. If you have any 22lr try them before you run out and buy the CCI you may be surprised. They recommend CCI for my Rugers also and they will eat anything I put in them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Junkking, you are so right. I have about 8 different 22LR ammo supplies. I typically plink with Rem golden bullet, Fed Champion, etc. Fed AutoMatch works about as good as CCI in the Mosquito. I also have a Browning Buckmark with 5.5 inch barrel. Maybe it isn't fair to compare it with the Mosquito. However, I paid almost exactly the same for both pistols and accuracy and trigger pull is no contest. The Buckmark outshoots it every time and will feed all the ammo about the same - at least in my hand.

Reviews on the Sig 1911 are pretty good. One reviewer mentioned something about difficulty in cleaning (breakdown). Please let me know how that goes for you.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GilaDan, The cleaning breakdown is almost as a regular 1911. Pull the slide to the notch and pop the slide stop out to the right side. Then there is another pin behind the slide stop. Press that pin out then remove the hex nut on the right side. Slide the slide off the front. You can now take the barrel bushing and turn it to remove the recoil spring and barrel. Some prefer to take the barrel bushing and recoil spring out before taking the slide off. It takes maybe 3 minutes to take it apart. The directions in the book can be somewhat confusing go to the link in Jedwils post about the enhancement kit they show the complete disassembly and reassembly of the pistol. Before I watched the video I was confused a to why there was the second pin and the hex screw, Then when you get the gun apart youll see the barrel lug is different than a regular 1911 the reason for the second pin and hex screw

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
not many of these 1911-22 like 36 gr ammo. I have thr colt and it prefers 40 gr also. It will shoot 36, but alot of failures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts