The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to ask he forum before I did something regret. I know DPMS has some of their flah suppressors perm. n the barrel to keep them from becoming a SBR, and if you try to remove the birdcage it will destroy the threading. I was wondering about replacin my flash suppressor on my new Sig 716 if it will bring up any problems, or if I should just be able to switch tem out?
Thank everyone ahead of time for your imput!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
According to Sig:

The flash suppressor if applicable is screwed onto the muzzle end of the barrel via 5/8 x 24 TPI thread pattern

·
Registered
28 Posts
How long is your barrel, grunt?

Btw, DPMS only does that on barrels that are shorter than 16". That way no numnuts removes the flash hider and makes it an illegal weapon accidentally. Btw I've seen a few removed and the threads were fine, if they were threaded to begin with.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Dpms only pins barrels that would be below 16 wo a flash hider per atf rules. if it is below wo then grind the old flash hider down were the pin is. eventually it will fall or rock out. the new flash hider mist be pinned and welded in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the flash hider has flat spots, take an adjustable wrench and turn it off. Should be fairly tight but not tight enough that you can't turn it off. Thread pattern is 5/8-24 if I remember correctly. I just built a 300 blackout and it takes the same size flash hider.

In fact, If you want, I've got a muzzle brake (Daniel defense Mitigator) that ill sell to you. I change it out and don't need it right now. Shoot me a pm if interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already got the one I want, just heard the thing about the pinned flash hiders and wanted to make sure. Thank you again everyone for your input :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Muzzle devices (flash hiders, brakes) are "pinned" on 14.5" inch barrels only so that the overall length remains 16".

Barrels less than 16" require a tax stamp.

There is no reason to pin muzzle devices on barrels less than 14.5".

I think...maybe, some states require them to be non removable on all barrel lengths, but I don't know for sure. I don't really follow the laws of other states.

It is best to clamp the barrel in a vise with wood blocks to protect it if the flash hider doesn't turn off easy. If it's on there tight you can do damage.

Also check to see if Sig uses anything to lock it on the threads such as Lok-Tite (use heat) or Rockset (soak in water) to loosen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts