The Firearms Forum banner

Sig trailside?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
Anyonr have one? How does it shoot? Easy to clean?

#2 · (Edited)
Zavozod:

I have had one for several years. The main problem the gun has is that it is too light. I installed a red dot on it and that helped. Light guns tend to move all around as you attempt to put the gun on target when shooting without the support of a bag on the bench.

The gun is not the same as the Hammerli that it is based on. It has been productionized to reduce its cost. It shoots well, feeds almost everything, likes target ammo, and is not that bad of a gun. If I had it to do over I'd get the full target model with the longer barrel, barrel weights, and full target grip but when I got mine I sort of had to take what the dealer could get. Some here say they were disappointed by the Sig's performance but they, I think, were trying to compare it to the more expensive target 22's. It is closer to a plinker than an all out competition gun, even though its father was a Hammerli.

There may be target guns out there for about the same money that shoot better and a bunch for a lot more money that shoot a lot better. A good Ruger MK II Government or Competition with a trigger job is probably a better choice for competition or a Model 41 S&W certainly will shoot better. I already have both of them so the Sig adds to my collection of target guns.

Buy it if you lust for it but don't buy it if you want a real competition gun.

As for cleaning the red dot has to be removed to clean it thoroughly (can be adequately cleaned without total disassembly) but without the red dot it is easy to disassemble, unlike the Ruger MK II.

LDBennett

#6 ·
45Smashemflat:

The real "Olympic style" pistols all start in excess of $1000 and go up from there. I find it difficult to justify for me any 22 pistol at $1000 and up.

For a while you could get an earlier Olympic style Russian pistol made by Baikal in Russia from EAA (IZH35M) for about $500 but apparently they are no longer being imported. I had one on loan from a friend but he wanted it back. When I went to get one recently they were no longer available. Too bad as it was a unique, interesting, and accurate pistol at a reasonable price.

LDBennett

#7 ·
I had a Sig Trailside and found it to be good target pistol, especially since I paid $400 for it used.

It was easy to clean, shoot, and fairly accurate meaning I didn't have to compensate for the pistol. The grip also feel good in mine and other hands. It wasn't a custom grip but felt like it was made for my hand.

The only problem I had with mine was the frame extender kept falling off, but that was a design issue that has been fixed in later version.

G
#8 ·
45Smashemflat said:
heh heh - ease of disassembly and Ruger MKII are mutually exclusive terms!!
Yeah, alas you are all too correct Smash. That's the only feature I DON'T like on the Ruger II. Real pain to reassemble it, especially if you have partaken of a couple brewskis during the cleaning process. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
There is a solution to the Ruger dis-assembly/assembly problem.

Someone sells a replacement for the vertical pin that holds the barrel to the receiver that allows the guns bolt to be removed by simply removing an allen screw. You can not seperate the receiver and the barrel but you don't have to if you can get the bolt completely out to get access to the chamber and the area of the receiver that gets so dirty from the blow back.

I have not installed this device in my Ruger because I only shoot it infrequently and am willing to put up with the frustration occassionally (but I do cuss at it on that occasion). If I shot it all the time I most certainly would put the device in my Ruger! See Brownells catalog. I beleive it is in there.

LDBennett

#11 ·
45Smashemflat:

I built a 10/22 with Volquartsen parts and drilled the back of the receiver as you suggest. But Volquartsen warns against using any rod (or brushes) in their barrels and suggests pulling patches through with fishing line. I tried that then went to the pull through OTIS Cleaning system. Man, it works! Their solvent seems to work better than Hoppes #9. I also have found that any gun that I can disassemble far enough to submerge in my solvent tank cleans up the bore easier afterwards, but the solvent removes all traces of protective oil so you must re-oil the whole gun to protect the metal.

What a contraversial subject gun cleaning is! Read 10 books and get 10 answers. I clean some conventionally with a carbon fiber rod, patches, and brushes, and others (usually smaller calibers) with the OTIS system, and still others in my solvent tank followed by barrel cleaning either by rod or OTIS. As for cleaning solvents, look out! Everybody has their favorites. I like the OTIS solvent, Hoppes #9, Sweets amonia solvent to get the copper out of centerfire barrels, and J-B Bore Cleaning Compound.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.