Sight Black

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/6/01 11:49:16 pm)
    Reply Sight Black
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, I just ramped my square backed front sight that was snagging on my IWB holster, and it works fine, EXCEPT that I reblued it, and in some different light conditions it kind of shines and then I can't pick it up against a light target like I used to.

We used to smoke 'em before a match, but that isn't practical for daily carry...

Do any of you use some sort of Blacking that's permanent? Flat black paint seems like it would be tacky...
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

AntiqueDr
    (10/7/01 6:16:25 am)
    Reply Re: Sight Black
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use a 20 lpi metal checkering file and serrate the ramp. Then tape it off really well and give it a zap of flat black AlumaHyde II.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/7/01 10:43:58 am)
    Reply Re: Sight Black
    I though of that, and I've seen them that way...However I don't have the checkering stuff, BUT since we had the discussion about the frontstraps, do you think stippling would work as well?

I can do that...and I've been thinking stove black, I have a can somewhere I think...

What the heck, I'll give it a try, I have plenty of metal on the sight, if it doesn't work, I can file it down and start over.
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...