The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
In the past I’ve always bought my powder at retail stores. I’m receiving my first online order today. I received an e-mail from Fedx stating that I had to sign for the delivery. Is this the norm for online powder orders or is this just a Fedx thing?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
I do believe that whoever sent it decides if an adult signature is needed or not. I had to sign for a package, on Saturday, that my daughter mailed to me, it had nothing to do with "gun stuff".

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
I've never had to sign. I never knew who delivered it. It was sitting on the stoop when I would get home from work. It was either UPS or FedEx ground.

I was looking at something the other day - CDNN ad, I think. It came with free shipping, but there was a $4.50 "adult signature required" fee.

·
Premium Member
12,431 Posts
Fed-Ex has rules of their own. I don't know their requirements on haz-mat stuff but they don't play according to USPS shipping rules on all firearms.

I've also never ordered smokeless powder but have for years ordered black by the case and never had ti sign for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several times I received an e-mail stating that I had to sign for the delivery but I never really had to. It was handed out to me or I found it on my front porch when returning home.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I've never had to sign for it.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I ordered from Powder Valley, they shipped it Fed-Ex. I got an email stating that an adult signature was required. The day it was to be delivered I got another stating the time. I was on the road so asked the wife to be on the lookout and sign for it. She said it was sitting on the steps when she went out to get the mail. So I guess it depends on the person delivering it.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,951 Posts
I have had to sign for powder before, but many times the carrier just leaves it on the porch. They know that there's no one else here, and I'm older than any of them. I've got an 8 lb bottle of powder expected Thursday, and I can't be here, so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: accident

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hello all,
In the past I’ve always bought my powder at retail stores. I’m receiving my first online order today. I received an e-mail from Fedx stating that I had to sign for the delivery. Is this the norm for online powder orders or is this just a Fedx thing?
Thanks
Fedex and UPS both require it.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Sender/lawyer/ playing CYA.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Fedex and UPS both require it.
I don't know what the difference is except possibly the driver but I've gotten powder and primers from UPS and they always left it at the top of my driveway. My driveway was 1/4 mile long through the woods and delivery people did all they could do to prevent having to come down it.

Reactions: howlnmad and joe45c

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think it's up to the driver a lot of times, but the guy that comes here said he has people sign for ammo, powder, and primers.

·
Premium Member
19,612 Posts
The only way a driver knows there is ammo in a box if it has this label on it.

Some areas may require a signature for ammo or firearms. This used to be a good job for the drivers. Now they run them like dogs. They fire them for any infractions.

Reactions: accident

·
Registered
846 Posts
The thing that amazes me is I think it was one of these guys last yr or so lost a pallet of .380 handguns for Bass pro that were in a caged area. The area had no cameras covering it. They did find them in Chicago a year later with some missing. Why no cameras? From what I have found out is that most of these thefts are from within. Fedex actually has overhead walkways to watch the employees in some facilities.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
From what I have found out is that most of these thefts are from within. Fedex actually has overhead walkways to watch the employees in some facilities.
All larger post offices, with processing plants, have those "catwalks" where postal inspectors roam to and fro! When some one in the PO is expected of stealing, camera's will be set up above where the suspected thief is assigned to work so that they are watched every second of their workday.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
All larger post offices, with processing plants, have those "catwalks" where postal inspectors roam to and fro! When some one in the PO is expected of stealing, camera's will be set up above where the suspected thief is assigned to work so that they are watched every second of their workday.
Had a Postal Inspector for a neighbor back in my days in Corpus Christi...he was busy at a couple locations in nearby towns..I note that almost every post office that I have seen has the windowed catwalks above the clerks...Inspector has his own entrance, they probably never know when he's working.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
A supervisor or postmaster will know. At the office I worked in there was an entrance in the retail area that has a small light that was turned on when they were present. A close friend showed it to me one time and told me about it, she was a janitor and had to go up into those catwalks to clean them so she could not go up there if the light was on. Side note: She said the inspectors were pigs!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts