The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the plunge and bought my very first suppressor yesterday, a Sparrow SS for 22’s. Figured now that I live in the USA I’d give it a go. According to the LGS it should take about 7-8 months to work through the background check and after that I’ll be good to go. Now the decision on what rifle and/or handguns to use with my new toy. Not sure I have anything at the moment that would be a good candidate. I’m thinking bolt action rifle to start so if you have any suggestions I’m all ears.

F8B0546D-37BB-4911-A34B-B500CBEBA784.jpeg
836DC8AF-104F-4B52-B5CD-E88554AD572D.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
42,580 Posts
I bought my Savage Mark II FV-SR to put on my new .22 suppressor when I got it about seven years ago. According to what I had read, it was built especially for suppressors.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for you besides don't mess up that old Stevens 22 by threading it's barrel....... Lots of good bolt action .22s out there or at least there were before everything went crazy.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Nah, those aren't bolt actions. Now iffin' you had a model 33 Remington bolt action like my dad's, made in 1933.....;)

·
11,668 Posts

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,346 Posts
This calls for a new rifle! I believe the Ruger 10/22 is available with a threaded barrel. That would be my first choice.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
This calls for a new rifle! I believe the Ruger 10/22 is available with a threaded barrel. That would be my first choice.
Been there too... While the 10/22 is fun, I got distracted by the bolt noise that you don't hear except with a suppressor. One of those Volquartsen poly buffers (replaces the bolt stop pin) might help a bit.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I have a pre Remlin Marlin 25N that would make a decent silenced bolt action .22, uses a 10 round detachable box magazine and it isn't a collectable item. You might get lucky and find something like it between now and when the gooberment decides to give you the tax stamp.
I don't know how available a CZ bolt action 22 rifle is but they make a good gun. Savage is making some decent .22 rifles and I hear they are even re popping the Stevens Favorite or at least they were.

Kind of funny how in strict, gun controlled Britain, silencers are considered the sign of a good neighbor but here in America the government makes you jump through all those hoops to prove you aren't a paid hit man or something equally sinister before you can get one.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Kind of funny how in strict, gun controlled Britain, silencers are considered the sign of a good neighbor but here in America the government makes you jump through all those hoops to prove you aren't a paid hit man or something equally sinister before you can get one.
You didn't know?... American liberals believe that terrorists want to be as considerate as possible regarding noise while committing their crimes of chaos. It's science. Political science... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
You didn't know?... American liberals believe that terrorists want to be as considerate as possible regarding noise while committing their crimes of chaos. It's science. Political science... :ROFLMAO:
Actually it was game wardens who wanted silencers controlled here in the States, otherwise some hungry citizen might be able to silently poach the king's deer to feed his family during the Great Depression instead of depending on FDR's government for a handout. FDR's economic policies, regulations and high taxes turned a steep recession into the Great Depression, but that is a subject for a different thread.

·
Super Moderator
42,580 Posts
Something you might want to think about if you choose a semi-automatic platform for your silencer. IF you use subsonic ammo, will it have enough oomph to cycle the action? When I put my suppressor on the Ruger 22/45 pistol, it turns into a jam-a-matic single shot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Took the plunge and bought my very first suppressor yesterday, a Sparrow SS for 22’s. Figured now that I live in the USA I’d give it a go. According to the LGS it should take about 7-8 months to work through the background check and after that I’ll be good to go. Now the decision on what rifle and/or handguns to use with my new toy. Not sure I have anything at the moment that would be a good candidate. I’m thinking bolt action rifle to start so if you have any suggestions I’m all ears.

View attachment 253395 View attachment 253394
I've been waiting for a wolfman since tax time but I'll let ya know when mine comes through. If ya want quiet as possible, the cz jaguar comes threaded with a 28" barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found a couple rifles, of course at the LGS in town that’s NOT over friendly. They have a Savage Mark II 22LR for $389 and a Ruger American 22WMR for $489, neither come with optics. About $950 out the door for both and I should note, both are suppressor ready. Decisions decisions decisions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts