The Firearms Forum banner
281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
this is a very old thread. is this stuff still around?
I don't know if they are still in operation, but as jedwill mentioned, Amazon shows it available, but it ain't cheap. I am still using the bottle that I received from Sam (Shooter45) back in 2012, a little goes a long way!

·
TFF Chaplain
21,245 Posts
Last communication I got from him was 31 December 2017. I'll try emailing him to see what's going on. His website is not responding...Server Not Found.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,245 Posts
The email bounced. Recipient domain invalid.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I decided to make a hobby of clps. Used Hopes for years and several lead removers that did nothing, and Break Free now and then. Saw Hickok but first wanted to try the mil.com product. The NRA made a big deal of it about 25 years ago. Even sold it under NRA name. Bought the cleaner, oil, and grease.....not exactly clp lol. By chance saw the guy in the Henry maintenance videos using the mil.com. He pushed a bunch of patches with cleaner through a bore till they came out clean. He must have pushed 100 of em one stroke for each! Then ran an oiled patch, and it came out dirty. You could see he was quite surprised, me too. My guns began to get cleaner. This is something that doesn't happen all at once. Burn rings on some revolvers went away. Only used patches and toothbrush. Eventually quit using the cleaner. The oil cleaned just as good. I was able to remove copper and lead fouling. In general talking about 25 strokes in and out with jag and patch using 10 to 20 patches And one thing I never expected, some guns got a trigger job. I used the product for about a year.

Then tried Ballistol for one year. For me it is almost as good, but not quite. Still use it for the black powder guns. Was getting surface rust with mil.com. But for human sweat in hot weather Break Free worked better than the mil or Ballistol on smokeless carry use.

Tried to buy SBGO, but too much trouble. I have been using Frog Lube for about 3 months. So far I like it. Temp was in the 40's last week and the Frog Lube was gelled. Had to set it on the heater to liquify. Don't like that. Heard reports of gumming up the actions. Will have to see. If you heat a gun with a blow drier, then apply a wax like substance, let it melt and run into the mechanism, then let it cool. What would you expect to happen. Not using it that way. I am using the liquid, but it would probably gum up the works too if too much accumulates. It sort of acts like boiled linseed oil if allowed to dry as a thick film. So far it is the best bore cleaner and the best anti rust protectant of the products I have tried. It leaves a beautiful shiny surface on the metal.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
hickok45 did a story on using ballistol spray for the entire clean and lube then wipe it all off. Anyone ever try that out? Opinions?
It's pretty popular around here, god knows why though.
It's not a cleaner, it's not an oil and other products work better for rust prevention.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
It's not a cleaner, it's not an oil and other products work better for rust prevention.
I've never used it but his talking points made it seem...oh well, maybe he just likes it or it's cheaper or he gets cases of the stuff free....

Thanks for letting me know, now that itch to order over the internet is now scratched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been experimenting with a 50/50 mixture of SBGO and Frog Lube. Really no huge difference in performance, might stay put a little better, not that it had an issue with that before, but it does smell a lot better with the Frog in it.
I used BreakFree for over 20 years in the Army. It was a cleaner, lubricants and preservative. It was the best the government provided at the time and still use it to this day.
Why change??????

·
Super Moderator
29,022 Posts
I just used the last of mine. Need to find more.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
From way back when I obtained a bottle of both the regular and “Heavy Weapon” SBGO. The “regular” is long gone, I wish I could get more, but I still have about 1/2 bottle of the “HWSBGO” in my cleaning box that I occasionally use and reminisce 😎...I still love reading the label and still have one of the Black Ace Cards that came with them...one of them got left on a particularly grisly Swift P-dog kill in South Dakota...😎

281 - 299 of 299 Posts