Silver Plated Trigger Guards.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Brian Uprichard, May 8, 2020.

1. Brian Uprichard

Brian Uprichard Member

Hi,
    I have a Remington New Model Navy revolver dating to December 1864 which still bears traces of silver plating on the trigger guard.
    Anybody know how common this practice was and if it was maybe confined to Navy revolvers or to those destined for the civilian market.
    Brian

2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

All civilian Colt revolvers had silver plated brass trigger guards and military revolvers had no silver plating. As for the Remington revolvers, all I've ever seen or handled were military issued New model Army revolvers and none had silver plating.

I've never had the pleasure of handling a New Model Navy, military or civilian.

It does stand to reason that a civilian revolver would have silver plated brass and a military contract revolver would not as a means of cutting costs.

3. Brian Uprichard

Brian Uprichard Member

Hi,
    The Serial Number of my Navy is 30162 which according to my Donald Ware's book places it in a small batch ordered by the Navy in mid December 1864. Pictures aren't of great quality, but you can still make out the remains of the silver plating to the trigger guard. I know Colt trigger guards were plated more frequently than Remingtons, but wondered whether the plating could have been added as a protective finish to prevent tarnishing of the brass in the harsher marine environment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Nice firearm; how does it function and shoot?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  5. Brian Uprichard

Brian Uprichard Member

Hi,
    I currently shoot reproduction Remington percussion revolvers, but really wanted an original to see how they compared.
    During the current lockdown, I've completely stripped and cleaned the gun and can see no reason why it would not be safe to shoot with light loads.
    The timing is still precise and the bore has lots of rifling left with no visible pitting, so when travel restrictions are lifted I may well give it a go.
    Brian

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Patches, Bigdog57, howlnmad and 3 others like this.