Simple Green?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ARB, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I have just finished cleaning my Marlin 60, what a friggin' mess that was! Anyway, I have two questions. First, awhile back my CCW instructor stated that you can drop the innards of your firearm in a bowl of Simple Green to strip all the trash off of it as long as you wipe it down properly afterwards and then oil it up. does this work? I haven't wanted to try it on any of my nicer arms.
    Second, after stupidly rushing to disassemble it for the first time I took out the wrong screw and left the one in behind the trigger guard. While pulling away the barrel from the stock the screw snapped off clean. (Man, I know what everyone is gonna say, so let me have it.) Will one of those tap out kits work getting that screw out?

2. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Easyouts can work but remember that the bit is very hard but also very brittle. If you haven't used one before try it out on some scrap first. If you lose the tip of an easyout down a hole you will now have something harder than most drill bits in the hole.

For really deep cleaning I have totally dissassembled pistols and rifles and used hot water and dish soap successfully. I would not recomend that unless you have every piece apart and are willing to dry and oil the parts the moment they are clean.

3. ARB

ARB New Member

Thanks, 94z07. I think I'll stay away from the water though. This thing already had a bit of rust inside apparently it had been sitting in a wharehouse for quit sometime. My brother the mechanic said he has used the easy outs often. I guess I'll find out how often.

4. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

We use Simple Green in our gun shop as our main solvant. I have one ultra sound cleaner with a Simple Green solution 3:1 and a parts washer with the same solution. Works great! Rinse well with hot water, dry with compressed air and finish drying with warm hair dryer rigged over a plastic rack. We use breakfree to lube afterwards and spread the lube with compressed air. The prossess is quick and thorough. We do many firearms a day with this method. Never had any problems, started using this in the mid 80's.

5. ARB

ARB New Member

HarleyDog, that's the answer I was looking for, Thanks! I use BreakFree on all my 'stuff' and it has always worked well.
    Anyone, got an idea of a cleaner ammo? I've been using Remington and Win. Wildcat. After about 150 rounds it looked like I dropped the receiver in the sand. Nobody, at the range could figure out why I was having so many jams straight out of the box.

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If your Marlin has a lot of rounds through it, it might still need more oil to function happily. My first 60 eventually got to the point that I needed to carry an oiler with me and give the bolt races a couple drops of oil every 50 rounds or so. Functioned flawlessly then...except in the winter. :) This started after it had digested something around 10,000 rounds or more...I started wearing this rifle out when I was 13 and finally let it go while I was in college when I replaced it with another 60.

As for the cleaner ammo...stay away from the bulk lead bullet stuff. But if you've got lots of powder fouling in the action then it could be that the ammo itself is getting "stale". Ive had bricks of .22lr that were just fine when I bought em new but as they aged, they would get more and more misfires and/or powder fouling.

My current 60 (and my 77/22) seem to work well with the Remington "Small Game Load" 36gr copper plated hollow points.

7. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

Whenever I need to clean my guns I throw them in the dishwasher by themselves. The water is so hot that it does the trick.

8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

As others have stated there is nothing wrong with using soap and water to clean a firearm. The military teaches this as an alternative to solvent based cleaners. Just blow it dry and use a light lube where necessary. WD 40 helps here as it disperses moisture...but don't mistake it as a lubricant.

9. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

ARB, we have trouble with Rem. Thunderbolt and Win wildcat. Seems to have a dirtier powder residue. Other causes for jams in the 60's is a cracked or broken bolt buffer, a weak rebound spring causing premature opening of the bolt and on older 60's the feed lips just wore out. (Just a couple other possible solutions.)

10. b79holmes

b79holmes Member

Re: AIG

I have one of those AIG DVD's on a Remington 742 and they also recommended a complete disassemble and cleaning with simple green.
    Bill