Simple Pleasures in life.... ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 12:31:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Simple Pleasures in life....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the simple pleasures of life in the Midwest...

Bringing in a piece of firewood from the bottom of the pile, knowing the weather HAS to break any day...

...and not spilling ONE of the 300 or so "Bean Beetles" hibernating on it until you get them in the stove...SNAP CRACKLE POP!

My son said I "need to get a life..."
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 3:02:34 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Simple Pleasures in life....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ha, Haa, Haaaa, Sounds like good times.
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 3:34:55 pm)
    Polish
    How bou't fireflys, ya got them two,? I want to see an hold one. I'll buy one from ya. Do they make good pets????
    Please send 1 firefly to:
    ysacres
    Wazzu WA

Another midwestern simple pleasure

I'm having my puter fixed,.This 0 is upside down.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 3:57:14 pm)
    Yeah, we got fireflies in May/June...easy to catch, put about a hundred in a jar and you have a Polish Maglite...kinda hard to turn off though...

Actually we always put them in jars as kids, they glowed and glowed, brightest it seemed before they died, didn't live long...sexual frustration and all, attract some to the glass too so near, so far....
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 4:07:26 pm)
    A local chemical company (Sigma Aldrich) used to buy fireflies when I was a kid - we would catch hundreds of them, and get a few bucks per jar full. Lots of great evening fun in the early summer, plus earn a few bucks to boot!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/25/02 7:42:35 pm)
    Me and a friend will sit on the front porch in the summer with the Red Ryder BB gun and shoot fire flies.

My wife comes out and takes a look at the pile of empty beer cans and asks us how we know if we hit one or not. I said because the light goes out!

She does not fund us as amusing as we find ourselves

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 9:48:45 pm)
    Q for polish, what is a bean beetle??????

Q for bob, what did Sigma Aldrich do with them fireflys?????

Q for pig, how many Bud's does it take to kill a firefly?????

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 10:05:52 pm)
    Wise, "Bean Beetles" are ladybug imposters...orange with black dots, instead of red. SWARMS of them...

Don't know the whole story, they just started showing up about 8-10 years ago here in Indiana, don't know if they were introduced to be an organic pesticide or what, but they live in the soybean fields, during the summer you can turn over any leaf and see tons of them, most of them mating. Seriously.

Keeps all the pests out of the fields, BUT after the harvest they like migrate all over, usually into your HOUSE if you live near any bean fields...fly around, coat the windows, both inside and out, if you swat them they stink really bad, about all you can do is vacuum them up, not uncommon to kill or suck up hundreds a day after the harvest, and all winter if they make it in and live, most just try to get in any open door, then when they succeed, they fly around aimlessly until they die, or get back out...when they feel like it they bite, not sting, but hurts like heck, but don't do it alot, get in your hair, down your pants, pain in the butt...

And I'm not kidding, they hibernate in cracks, in the wood pile, when you bring in a block you might have hundreds on one piece, kind of cool looking, but they begin to stir RIGHT NOW when they warm up, if you drop any, they wiggle around, you have to get them before they fly away...

....and they snap crackle and pop when they burn...

Not really BAD bugs, just a pain in the @ss...don't hurt the beans, actually help them....

Kinda like "Killer Ladybugs..."

How many of you bean states have them this bad?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 10:19:05 pm)
    I am not sure what Sigma Aldrich was extracting from them fireflys - something to do with the chemical that makes them glow.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/25/02 10:51:32 pm)
    They sound like boxelder bugs, them things will cover everything.

It takes exactly 7 Mic lites before ya can hit one on the fly.

We throw the Bud at the nieghbors we don't like

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 10:56:47 pm)
    My God The women must go crazy over them beetles, My wife would be swarin at me because i couldn't kill enough of em.

Kinda the same thing with peas out west. (ladybugs kill aphid)

Hey Bob, I know how they make them glo styx

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/25/02 11:01:50 pm)
    They are overly plentiful here as well, but I try and knock them off the wood instead of bringing them in and the little buggers do bite.
    cointoss2

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/26/02 12:37:36 am)
    That's why my son said I need to get a life...I was having entirely too much fun burning them up today...

I COULD knock them off before I brought in the wood, but what fun is THAT?

Actually they are about the only bugs my wife even TOLERATES in the same room, (even if she doesn't like them..) tough to get scared of a "ladybug..." even a million of the buggers...and you CAN'T get away from them completely until the beans come back in and they go back to the fields...really just annoying, like houseflies...

And they also make tons of noise, fly pretty fast, but not very well or straight, they continuously smack into things as they fly around...like a miniature June Bug on crack...

twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 12:45:18 am)
    I believe they are called Japanese beetles and they do stink when smashed and they do bite. They were brought in as an organic pesticide and have since flourished. Nothing worse than when you are roofing and when bites you in the middle of the back.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/26/02 2:00:36 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Simple Pleasures in life....
    We do the same thing with black ants. Get fire going in the fire ring then add some old dead oak thats loaded with ants and eggs. You should see them things scurry around carrying the eggs. Havn't tried any in the woodburner in the hootch 'cause we don't want them invading our communlal/eating area.
    RuffItt

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 8:00:19 am)
    yeah Polishshooter
    I'm on my third "last load of wood this winter" sooner or later spring will sprung there's some green starting to show and the gobblers are gobblin' in the morning and I'm ready for this winter to be over

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/26/02 9:01:04 am)
    Yeah, some serious ice last night, if I run out of wood I can just burn all the downed limbs all over the yard...

HEY Zig, how much snow did you get last night, sounds pretty bad north of Indy...My daughter called and said it was like "White Death" or something in Anderson and to the north....

Somebody shoot that friggen woodchuck...

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 3:36:14 pm)
    looky what done showed up in the backyard today

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 11:07:58 pm)
    Hey Polish I hope you had some more wood somewhere. Nice weather we've had the last couple days. I've got an outdoor wood furnace and thought I had hauled my last trailer load. I guess I should have brought one more. That north wind was cutting right through the old farm house. I'm glad I've been doing trim work the last couple months.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 8:27:04 am)
    One of my simple pleasures in life was sitting drinking a cup of coffee, watching the sun rise over the Bighorns. I cant see the Bighorns now...but I canstill drink the coffee, watch the sun rise, and listen to the canadian geese calling on their way north. swede
    Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 9:42:39 am)
    Fred, darn thing is probably a native that doesn't migrate anyway...

We have so many geese now that stay here now year round, the past few years the State has debated having a "native" hunt to thin them out...some time other than the fall so that the "migraters" don't get touched, but nobody has figured out how to tell a "native" from a "migrater..." (actually it's easy...hunt them in the middle of the summer and/or middle of the winter....)much less get around the federal laws...I think it won't be long before states start hunting their "own" geese just like deer...

Does EVERY state have that problem now? Even 20 years ago in WNY, we were beginning to see "Year round" flocks...now in Indiana, Geese flying overhead is an everyday of the year happening, and I am NOT exaggerating, a pond no more than 1/2 mile away next to a state highway I drive by every day has 30-50 Geese in it EVERY day, even when it's frozen....they are "V-ing and honking" over my house right now as we speak....no longer a harbinger of spring/fall, people now just take them for granted, and many people calling them simply pooping pests...which is kind of a shame, really.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 10:52:55 am)
    Polish, this migratory thing has always puzzled me. I believe in certain birds that stay year round AND some that moved. In Texas, we now classify Doves as migratory birds (steel shot?) never seen anything on this. But the best one is this. The Whitewing (dove) this is one big bird...almost piegon sized. If you think doves are hard to hit, with all their air juking and speed, think of the Whitewing as a supercharged version. I used to travel to the Texas/Mexico boarder to hunt these and the season was very short (two weekends only) and a small bag limit too. They have now taken over Austin, TX and stay there year round now....I don`t mean a few either...thick as any bird. Now in the last few years, they are here. I am about 60 miles from the OK/TX boarder, now that is some serious mileage and they too, stay year round. Interesting??? LTS
    T.F.F.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 1:01:52 pm)
    Polish, we've had a pair that have nested here the last 3 yrs. but they haven't overwintered here yet

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/27/02 3:07:04 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Simple Pleasures in life....
    C'MON -- Help a feller....

HOWDOYA collect "GLOW WORMS"? ? ?

Are they bisexual or whut?
    How wud ya specify their vision (nite & day)?
    Can they swim?
    Do they taste good/different, etc.?
    What cular of bathin suits do they prefer?
    Are they addicted to tricycles?
    Wudja suspect they have a annual physical (routinely)
    Tha majority of them migrate ---- where?
    Maybe they favor SUVs?
    But only buy their glasses at "Sears"?
    Support concealed carries!
    Love Charleston Heston Cowboy movies....(litl doggies)
    Enter into matrimony only wunce --- (real cowards)
    Prefer Colt 45s 1911 series 70 (loaded)
    Addicted to Winchester Model 12 Trap shotguns (Myrtle Wood)
    Tendency to crawl near and far for "COORS LIGHT"....
    (Sing - A - Lot --- TOO!)
    VW Beetles is wher their AT! 4 on tha floor....

Is it true that the unexamined life of a GLOW WORM isn't worth living?

Charlie D
    There is not one honest Glow Worm in ten thousand.

Edited by: Different name at: 3/27/02 3:10:09 pm

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 8:04:24 pm)
    They make a big mess on the golf course also. That middle of the winter season would be great, And use rifles to boot.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 10:45:39 pm)
    I remember reading about it a few years ago, something about how there are more Canadas that do NOT migrate now than there is that do...seem to me they were mostly in the northern states..maybe around the Great Lakes if I remember right...just keep nesting and having young, and the need or instinct to migrate is bred out of them...but they still fly field to field, pond to pond, in their "Vs."

Plus they are getting really used to humans, especially if people feed them in subdivisions, parks and campgrounds, they get really aggressive and chase the campers and kids around for more food...

But like I said, I first started seeing it in the Snow Belt around Buffalo, more than 20 years ago, where snow is REALLY bad, some flocks still stayed put...I worked in a County park in the summers and we had three big flocks, maybe 50 -60 birds total that never left all year...

It makes sense here in Indiana, winters aren't THAT bad, only a few days or weeks where the water is frozen, and fields covered and lots of cut corn fields to feed in, but it STILL looks funny to see 30-40 Geese STANDING in the middle of that frozen pond looking all confused....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:03:42 pm)
    Simple pleasures..............seeing how much you son loves you, making him laugh, spending time with him. Something I don't get to do as much as I used to..............

Waking up beside someone you love every morning

Driving around at 3 oclock in the morning

sorry.......getting verklempt.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.