Sister never did care for guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 68c15, May 31, 2020.

1. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Last weekend I took her 14 year old son to the range. I've often asked her to join me in the past but she always declined saying she just doesn't like guns. When I brought him home she said she would have liked to go with. Yesterday I did just that.

Since it was her first time ever with a gun I brought an assortment of hand guns that I felt she might enjoy and we went to a different range which is not busy. I started her with a Ruger Mk1, then my Shield 9mm and a 1911. She liked how the Shield fit her hand but had trouble pulling the slide. The Ruger was easy to operate but didn't fit her too well. Shield recoil was a bit much for her. She really enjoyed the 1911, except it was too big and heavy. Then she said if the Shield was easier to pull the slide and had a bit less recoil she could get used to it.

On the way home (I drove) we pulled into Gary's Gun Shop. The guys there know me.
    "Hi Todd, what brings you by today?"
    Using what could be considered code talk among gun guys and unknown to the general public I replied
    "380 EZ?"
    The owner Steve pulls out a black gun which looks very similar to mine and sister said she wants something different.
    Steve said "Just hold it and pull the slide back".
    She did that and her eyes lit right up with a great smile on her face. She asked about recoil. Steve took her into the indoor range and gave her 5 rounds to try it out. A couple minutes later she was back at the counter with a **** eating grin. I could tell she was happy. Then she took one look in the display case and fell in love. A brand new Shield EZ 380 in purple with a silver slide.

Her exact words, and I quote.
    "It fits me great. I like the recoil. The purple one is an extra $30? I'll take it"

On the way home she said she just wants 1 gun. I just laughed then told her our brother said the same thing 5 or 6 years ago. Now he has about 138 of them

2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Guns are like Lays chips.. Cant stop at just ONE!

Limbo Jimbo, Guts3d, DCman and 15 others like this.

3. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    should have had her try a SA XDE 9.

4. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Several years ago a friend of my youngest son wanted a shotgun and his new wife wasn't too thrilled about it, not that she is anti gun or anything she just never shot them and was a bit frugal, not a bad thing, being frugal, but I digress.

Anyway, we invited them to the range so she could shoot Colton's 870 and a few other toys.

We pretty much kept her on the various .22 caliber toys until she noticed my Ruger Bisley and wanted to shoot it. So I gave her the usual safety instructions on loading, firing and unloading a single action revolver and loaded it up with some mild plinking rounds. You should have seen the grin on her face as she fired and hit what she was aiming at with it.

I offered to let her shoot another cylinder full and handed her the box of plinking ammo, she said she wanted to try those bullets instead, pointing at the box of self defense against bear ammo I'd been shooting earlier. I said you don't want to shoot those, she said, "Oh yes I do", so I let her load some up and fire them.

After she fired the pistol she looks at her hubby with a big grin and says, "You can have your shotgun, but only if I get one of these !", pointing at my Ruger. ;)

5. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

Look what you've done now, you've created another gun lover!

6. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what we're supposed to do?

One Thanksgiving I went to my folks place for dinner, I brought a brand new Kentucky rifle I'd just built to show to my father. My new at that time sister in law commented that she didn't care much for weapons and didn't want them in her house, but boy howdy that was a work of art not a weapon and she would be proud to have it hanging over her mantle. (I think that was a hint she wanted me to make her one.)

Fast forward a decade and my nephews took an interest in my muzzle loading rifles. Sneaky me, I restored an old DGW Early Lancaster flintlock kit I'd picked up and I gave it to the boys for Christmas.

It's currently hanging over her mantle. :)

And the boys love going shooting with their dad and before he passed, their granddad and I'm pretty sure when they have boys of their own they will take them out shooting.

Isn't that what uncles, brothers, grand dads and brothers in law are supposed to do? Make Gun loving, Constitution loving Americans out of the younger generation?

68, good on you for making another gun lover out of your sister. :)

7. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Her gay soon-to-be ex-husband doesn't know about it yet. He doesn't even know he's about to be an ex either

8. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

The only thing more fun than shooting guns is getting people to enjoy shooting them too! Good on you 68!

Guts3d, Gudaki, sharps4590 and 9 others like this.
  9. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

Good on you for bringing her into the fold of the shooting sports and finding her the right weapon.:cheers:

Guts3d, Gudaki, mudman35962 and 7 others like this.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

That sounded like Goldilocks and the three guns for a while.:clap:

Glad you got her to the range and that she has now picked up a new habit.

Guts3d, Gudaki, sharps4590 and 6 others like this.
  11. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I HOPE she has no plans to inform him of her purchase as she "KICKS" him out of her home and life?

Guts3d, Gudaki, mudman35962 and 5 others like this.
  12. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

All it takes is changing one mind at a time.

shootbrownelk, Guts3d, Gudaki and 6 others like this.
  13. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

14. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

Way to go! Not only did you bring another into the shooting sports, you did it the right way. Kudos!

Guts3d, Gudaki, mudman35962 and 2 others like this.
  15. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Sorry Firedog, the SA doesn't come in a purple/silver two tone.

Guts3d, Firedog, Gudaki and 3 others like this.