The Firearms Forum banner

'SKF Sweden' Shotgun

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  antiquedr 
#1 ·
dmoore109
(10/17/02 11:16:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All An old shotgun with the letters SKF Sweden .410 cal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This shot gun was bought at a gun show.
It has the markings SKF Sweden and PR.
I'm told the PR stands for Pennsylvania Railroad.
The barrel is octagon shaped at the action and gradually
becomes rounded at the end of the barrel.
It has no other markings other than the caliber.
ANY information about this Shotgun would be appreciated,
also the value.

Thanks

Edited by: dmoore109 at: 10/18/02 7:55:22 pm

Tac401
Administrator
(10/17/02 11:48:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: An old shotgun with the letters SKF Sweden 4/10 cal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dmoore109,

Welcome Aboard!

This is a question that "DOC" or one othe other experts in this
particular area will have to answer, we have many members who are I include in the expert title who may be able to more
than likely answer your questions in as much detail as possible.

Check in often as possible, more than likely you will have an answer/several answers within 24-hours.

Welcome To TFF!

Tac
TFF Admin
TFF VMBB Email Tac

dmoore109
(10/18/02 6:59:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: An old shotgun with the letters SKF Sweden .410 cal.
Thanks Tac,
Hopefully someone will have an answer for me.
any thing is a help.

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(10/20/02 8:33:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: An old shotgun with the letters SKF Sweden .410 cal.
SKF is a major steel manufacturer in Sweden, known mainly for bearings. I guess its possible they turned out some shotguns for domestic use, but they were never commercially imported into the US. I would certainly check that shotgun over very carefully again for other markings, including underneath the forend and inside the action.

Although I do not know what the 'PR' would stand for, the Pennsylvania Railroad has traditionally been 'PRR'. Plus, I would imagine any firearms purchased by the railroad would have been on a contract basis so I just cant see an obscure Swedish single shotgun having railroad markings. It probably is an abbreviation for something in Swedish.

There would be minimal-to-no collector value. Have the shotgun thorougly checked over by a competent gunsmith before attempting to fire.

dmoore109
(10/20/02 7:40:24 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: An old shotgun with the letters SKF Sweden .410 cal.
Thanks Doc,
I've been trying to find out all I can about the PR marking
and as you said everything has been PRR. For all I know it could be a mark made by someone who owned the shotgun before.
The shotgun was checked thoroughly by our local gunshop and he said he was impressed with the care that had been
given to the gun. It holds an extremely tight pattern for more of a distance than my 20 gauge with a full choke. I'm no
where near being an expert but I liked how it shot.
Thanks again and if you run across anything with a PR on it
let me know.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.