The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home my Cimarron 1873 replica 7.5" barrel in .357 magnum today. Model MP504. Haven't shot it yet but also grabbed 100 rounds of .357 and 50 of .38spl for some target practice maybe later today, though I plan to mostly shoot 38 out of it. Love these case hardened frames. Need to get a good rig for this. Well I've filed the .357 gap in my collection and at a decent price about 100 below MSRP.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,664 Posts
NIce looking piece of kit there. Great catch.

I'm not sure how it works with wheel guns, but my Marlin 1895 rifle shoots both .357 and .38. If I'm going to shoot both, I'm told that I need to shoot the .38's after the .357's and not the other way around because the debris left after shooting .38's interferes with chambering the longer .357 cartridges.

Enjoy, and give us a range report.;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NIce looking piece of kit there. Great catch.

I'm not sure how it works with wheel guns, but my Marlin 1895 rifle shoots both .357 and .38. If I'm going to shoot both, I'm told that I need to shoot the .38's after the .357's and not the other way around because the debris left after shooting .38's interferes with chambering the longer .357 cartridges.

Enjoy, and give us a range report.;)
Yeah you can shoot .38 from a .357 just not the other way.

From just getting used to holding it more I'm going to have to look into some kind of larger grip I think. Just a bit too small. But the way the frame and grip go together I'm not sure what they make. Just getting into SAA guns so I'm a bit green.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,664 Posts
Do BP cartridges require special cleaning or anything like that?
I have a black powder Remington 1858 revolver. I have to clean it after shooting. Black powder residue is corrosive and needs to be cleaned off soon after shooting.

I fill a dishpan with warm to hot water, add some dishwashing liquid, and strip the gun. Just dunk all the bits in the dishpan, scrub with a scotchbrite pad, down the barrel and cylinder chambers with a brass brush and a swab. Then I stick it all in the oven at lowest temperature I can get it to run at to dry it off for 10-20 minutes. (Don't wash the grips!!)

When it is dry, I take it out and wipe it down with an oiled swab to prevent rust from forming and reassemble it. I've used cooking oil; just don't use mineral oil where the black powder residue will collect. That gums things up.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips! And do you know, is it possible to put on larger grips? I'm guessing that would mean a new grip frame or something to that effect. Though I'll need to shoot it and see how it feels in action before deciding its too small for my fat paws.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Sweet gun, but I thought the man that said that, Wyatt Earp(in the movie tombstone), carried a buntline?

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Well he was telling Billy Bob that as he slapped him around. He wasn't going heeled at the time though. He didn't need to go heeled to get the bulge on a dub like him.
Sounds like you've watched the movie 10 bazillion times like me.:D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts