The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Thanks for the tips! And do you know, is it possible to put on larger grips? I'm guessing that would mean a new grip frame or something to that effect. Though I'll need to shoot it and see how it feels in action before deciding its too small for my fat paws.
Curl your pinky finger under the grips, don't try to crowd them all on it.

My Uberti/Cimarron in 44-40.

My rig made by Brazos Jack of Etowah Leather Works. I no longer have the left hand gun.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
lol, Yes the pinky curl is what I have to do. I think I'll get some grips with more grip on them to help. The smooth grips are a bit too..smooth.
They're supposed to be smooth to allow it to roll up in your hand from recoil. The roll up also helps with cocking the hammer for the next shot. If the grips are too small put a set of 1860 army grips on it but you have to buy a whole new grip frame and grips as a matched set.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yeah you can shoot .38 from a .357 just not the other way.
I believe he was telling you that if start off with .38 Specials and later try to shoot .357 Mag without cleaning it, a portion of the chambers will be dirty since the .38 Special is shorter than the .357 Mag. You will not be able to fit a .357 Mag in the chamber until you clean it. Same thing happens with .22 Shorts and .22 LR, .32 S&W Long and .327 Federal.

Nice looking revolver by they way...

·
Registered
19,001 Posts
It would have to be a darn horribly dirty single 38 to foul the cyl chamber so bad that a 357 wouldn't push in.

I shot mixed 38/357 a few weeks ago. I cleaned the gun when I got home, not after each cyl.

No difficulty chambering a 357 after a 38.

Now.. If you do that often and dont clean.. Sure..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I believe he was telling you that if start off with .38 Specials and later try to shoot .357 Mag without cleaning it, a portion of the chambers will be dirty since the .38 Special is shorter than the .357 Mag. You will not be able to fit a .357 Mag in the chamber until you clean it. Same thing happens with .22 Shorts and .22 LR, .32 S&W Long and .327 Federal.

Nice looking revolver by they way...
Ah I see. Thanks!

Reactions: Shrek73

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I took the smoke wagon out to the range and it was sweet. Shooting .357 rounds was a blast, due to the weight of the gun it was very manageable despite the small grips. But shooting .38 rounds felt like a cap gun going off. Those were so much fun. Accuracy was very acceptable at 21 feet and I didn't shoot out further though I'm sure I'll try that next time I take her out. I do know that I want a more modern .357 now, I think a Ruger GP100 is in my future...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.