The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
14,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chinese SKS with 10 round mag and under fold bayonet

what mods can a guy do to it? Any legal issues doing them?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are under 5'5" like a Chinese man or wearing thick coats like a Russian, then it's perfect. For me I need a longer stock. I use a plastic side folder stock and it's a bit longer and much lighter. Will leave a bruise on your shoulder after shooting all day but it's worth it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is what it is. I left my Chinese and Yugoslavian one's alone and just enjoy shooting them. No plastic stocks or removable magazines. Zack 856 is right though. Both the SKS and the AK 47 were designed for shorter statured Soldiers. The AK more so it seem than the SKS.
Wood Textile Rectangle Art Triangle

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
Ramline Folding stock. 30 round mags take a little filing on the lip.
I took a grinder and did away with the baynoet underlug and cleaning rod guide, dont need any of that. Note how clean the bottom of my barrel looks.
I bought mine for $89 34 years ago, I actually had to clean it about three years ago after bouncing around in the dirty combines and tractors after it had a failure to cycle. That Oty lived another day.

Spray and pray, the 30 rounders come in handy to "Walk them in"

Sky Air gun Military camouflage Trigger Shooting range

·
TFFWPP President
14,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aii I did was a full stock and a solid scope mount-all set-deer dumper
A scope and mount is first on my list. I’d thought about converting to 30 round mags but that would really play havoc when hunting deer. In SD we are only allowed a 5 round mag. I’ll be lucky to get past with the original internal 10’er, just keep 5 or less in it.

I wonder if adding a scope puts me in the sights of ATF in fear of 922r regulations.

Larry, I’d heard rumors they throw brass almost as far as the bullet. Any input?

·
TFFWPP President
14,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wood Font Tool Metal Hardwood
Uh oh

i was just standing there and the darn thing just fell apart.

looking down barrel it is in excellent condition. The bluing is strong. Wood is good with just one scratch on top left front. Internal parts not worn out and show very limited use.

I think I have a decent rifle

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
It was a long time ago I looked into modifying mine I bought in 91 when they were rioting in CA. What I remember reading was the parts that were going to be used had to be of American made pieces not import parts. I know the 10 round magazine is removable and you can get large magazines that clip in, now finding ones that work without FTF (feed) issues is a challenge. The last 2 I bought were plastic units and I need to do some fine tune adjustments on them to make them work correctly. I had bought 1 during FAF at J&G in 2009 Prescott AZ they required a DL License to buy it. I NEVER WENT BACK TO THEM!

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
, I’d heard rumors they throw brass almost as far as the bullet. Any input?
Mine will throw brass a good 25-30 yards with some heat behind then. Much further if you cant the gun to the left.
I can tell you with steel core rounds they put 1/4 to 3/8 dimples in 5/8 plate steel and strip the copper jacket from the steel core and throw it back at your neck!
Chevy truck frame? goes right through both sides like hot butter!

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I’m with Moody why change it? As built they are excellent rifles, tough and reliable. They ain’t sniper rifles. What I have found is unmolested examples are getting harder to find.
Reasonably accurate, tuff as nails and extremely reliable in the stock configuration. A quick search shows that there has been a recent wave of Chinese SKSs allowed in $399. They look pretty ruff and I am sure it’s a short term thing. Yours looks like a nice gun. If you cannot control the urge to not leave well enough alone buy one of these unloved examples and leave yours stock…. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts