The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this rifle and have a question: I can find no way to lock the bolt carrier open without having an empty magazine installed. This rifle has a detachable mag, and it's rather...awkward to install a new mag while having to hold the bolt carrier back manually. Is this typical? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
Im new to this rifle and have a question: I can find no way to lock the bolt carrier open without having an empty magazine installed. This rifle has a detachable mag, and it's rather...awkward to install a new mag while having to hold the bolt carrier back manually. Is this typical? Thanks!
To the best of my knowledge, that's pretty much the way it works with aftermarket (Tapco etc.) mags. I believe it was Norinco who briefly imported an SKS that would accept standard AK magazines, and on these rifles the underside of the bolt was cut to clear the magazine's lips, thus allowing insertion/removal of a magazine with the bolt closed. There's a YouTube video showing how to modify a standard SKS bolt along the lines of the Norinco's, but I don't recall the title of the video.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I don't know of any way to lock the action open on an SKS without either
1: Letting the magazine follower push the bolt catch up.
or
2: Pulling the bolt open by hand and sticking a finger down into the action to pull the bolt catch up.

You have to remember that the SKS was originally designed for a non-detachable box magazine. When the magazine is empty it was designed to be fed from the top down via stripper clips.
All of these detachable magazine setups are just sorta cobbled onto the action as a replacement for the original magazine.

Ahhh, yep....
nmckenzie is right. There was one or two Norinco commercial models that had an AK-style magwell cobbled onto the bottom.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
The SKS wasn't originally designed with a detachable mag. They usually have the built in 10 round mag that swivels open and is loaded from the top when the bolt is open due to the mag being empty.

Hehe - I think Bindernut and I posted at the same time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my suspicion, but so much better to have confirmation - thanks a million guys. Um, not really thinking I'll try machining the bolt - I'm sure I could find a way to screw that up royally! How difficult is it to get it back to the factory 10 round setup?

·
Registered
685 Posts
That was my suspicion, but so much better to have confirmation - thanks a million guys. Um, not really thinking I'll try machining the bolt - I'm sure I could find a way to screw that up royally! How difficult is it to get it back to the factory 10 round setup?
Its usually very easy as long as nobody had modified anything else on the gun to the point of not being usable. This place has the whole assembly but they are currently sold out. Same thing here, out of stock as well. But if you look you should be able to find one someplace.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Factory box mags are available on e-bay. There are currently 5 or 6 up for auction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.